A1 & FS4HD M2T 30F conversion formats? (Mac) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old December 30th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #1
Trustee

A1 & FS4HD M2T 30F conversion formats? (Mac)

Hello everyone. The FS4HD records the Canon's HDV video to M2T files, what preset should be used for conversions using MpegStreamclip?

For the 1080i mode of course the standard 1080i preset is used and for 1080 24F the HDV24F preset is used- but what is the preferred conversion method for 30F.

When shooting 30F on the Canon, the resulting M2T's need to be converted and my 2 methods have been:
MpegStreamclip: 1080 24F and change the FPS to 30 and scale to 1920X1080- this results in a 30fps clip that seems to be the same as the native 30F M2T........but..........you can also use the standard 1080i interlaced preset and change FPS to 30 and select "deinterlace" and this too will produce identical quality 30FPS footage yet with a lower bitrate and slightly smaller files. Which method is best, use 1080 interlaced and deinterlace into 30FPS or use the 1080 24F (or 25F) preset and change to 30FPS?

Thanks guys.
Old December 31st, 2006, 06:36 AM   #2
Major Player

MPEG Streamclip allows you to select the framerate in the empty Frame Rate Box on teh right. Any of the choices are not Frame Rates, but Codecs. You can chose the 1080/30P codec with a 24 Frame Rate and as long as the settings in FCP match, it will work.

Until Apple added the 720/24P HDV Codec, JVC users were transcoding to the 720/30P codec. If you are looking to reamin in HDV, use the 1080/24P Codec. If you want to convert to I Frames, use the Apple Intermediate Codec.

EDIT: Just re-read your question and I missed something: I think the 1080/24P Codec is better since it is progressive, and just make sure you check the deinterlace box. You do not want to be working in an interlaced format when in your "F" modes since they are supposed to be progressive anyway.

I do not have the Canon though, so I cannot say it with certaintly, but this method worked for the JVC without fail.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore