DR-HD100 various topics - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old December 6th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #181
Regular Crew

Final cut 6.0.2 now have hdv50p codec implemented, so focus now can work for DR-HD100 work in quicktime 50p, when? i donīt know.

By now DR-HD100 only can work in quicktime in 24, 25, and 30p and 50p in m2t.
Javier Tabares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #182
Major Player

This is from the focus site

Nonlinear Editing System Compatibility
No matter which nonlinear editing (NLE) system you have, the Focus DR-HD100 has you covered. When in DV mode, files are recorded to disk as RawDV, AVI Type 1, AVI Type 2, AVI Type 2 24p, Matrox AVI, Canopus AVI, QuickTime, QuickTime 24p, Avid OMF, Pinnacle AVI or MXF. In HD mode, 720p clips are recorded as M2T (720p24, 25, 30, 50 or 60) files or QuickTime HDV (720p24, 25 or 30). When working with DV clips, simply connect the JVC DR-HD100 to your Mac or PC editing system in the same way you would connect a FireWire hard disk drive and you are instantly ready to edit. No capturing, no file transfer, no file conversion. Just shoot and edit. When working in HD mode, you’re able to work with a growing list of compatible NLE systems.

Focus DR-HD100 QuickTime HDV Support Upgrade Available Now
With the DR-HD100 v2.2.1 firmware upgrade, JVC GY-HD100, HD200 and HD250 series camcorder owners can record 720p/30,25 and 24 clips in the native QuickTime HDV file format. QuickTime HDV clips can be imported directly into Apple Final Cut Pro without the need for capture or conversion first.

and the pdf
http://www.focusinfo.com/dynassets/d...20DR-HD100.pdf
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #183
Major Player

This is from the focus site

Nonlinear Editing System Compatibility
No matter which nonlinear editing (NLE) system you have, the Focus DR-HD100 has you covered. When in DV mode, files are recorded to disk as RawDV, AVI Type 1, AVI Type 2, AVI Type 2 24p, Matrox AVI, Canopus AVI, QuickTime, QuickTime 24p, Avid OMF, Pinnacle AVI or MXF. In HD mode, 720p clips are recorded as M2T (720p24, 25, 30, 50 or 60) files or QuickTime HDV (720p24, 25 or 30). When working with DV clips, simply connect the JVC DR-HD100 to your Mac or PC editing system in the same way you would connect a FireWire hard disk drive and you are instantly ready to edit. No capturing, no file transfer, no file conversion. Just shoot and edit. When working in HD mode, you’re able to work with a growing list of compatible NLE systems.

Focus DR-HD100 QuickTime HDV Support Upgrade Available Now
With the DR-HD100 v2.2.1 firmware upgrade, JVC GY-HD100, HD200 and HD250 series camcorder owners can record 720p/30,25 and 24 clips in the native QuickTime HDV file format. QuickTime HDV clips can be imported directly into Apple Final Cut Pro without the need for capture or conversion first.

and the pdf
http://www.focusinfo.com/dynassets/d...20DR-HD100.pdf

edit - sorry Chris double post, really tired today :-P

Last edited by Adam Letch; December 6th, 2007 at 11:55 PM.
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #184
Major Player

So it must be available then in version 2.x, while I have 1.1 (and doesn't want to record 50P)?
It does record it into 25P instead which is a bummer at the moment.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #185
Major Player

XDCAM EX w/ DR-HD100?

The only thing keeping me from buying a xdcam ex is the overpriced cards. I would have to spend at least 3k on cards.

So, I have a DR-HD100 already, could this be used in place of the cards at least until third party media is accepted?

I am fully aware that only the HDV setting of the xdcam ex is able to feed through the firewire port.
Old December 12th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #186
Major Player

Everyone kees saying that the Sony cards will come down in price shortly. Supposedly you can run the Firestore as long as it is in HDV mode on the camera, so I don't see why not. I think though that you'll find there will be a ton of options for recording to the EX1's when they start allowing other brands of cards to be used and when they have adapters to go to SD, CF, etc. Then storage will become VERY cheap.
Kit
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #187
Major Player

ok, I will go ahead and assume the dr-hd100 will work with the ex1.

Now for my next question. I am guessing the dr-hd100 is not able to convert the data from the ex1 into a quicktime format (.m2t to .mov).

So, the dr-hd100 would then record raw m2t files?

I am trying to figure out the workflow. I use FCP so m2t files make things a little more complicated.
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #188
Major Player

Depending on when you purchased the drive, there is an upgrade that will allow you to natively capture quicktime instead of .m2t. Check on the Focus site for more info.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #189
Major Player

OK situation resolved, all 720p formats now work here with QT - our mac vendor just put a whole bunch of plugins on the mac and it worked ! but in too much hurry to identify which plugin did the trick.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #190
Regular Crew

Hi, I have a JVC HD-100, hooked up to a FS-4 Pro HD, and I use Vegas 6 to edit. (would love to move to vegas 8 when i can)

So far I have no problems, with the exception of being limited to SD for things like time lapse, and stop motion.

What exactly do you mean by "I cant get timecode into vegas."? I am assuming you are able to import your files into Vegas. If so, there must be some sort of timecode. Do you want the time code generated from the camera, or the Firestore?

I may be the worst person to ask though. I have been messing with this stuff for over a year, and still can't get the concept of timecode straight. The only place it would matter to me would be for multi camera shoots so i could switch cameras in post & keep everything alligned time wise. But until I have more than one camera I have no use for it that I can see.
Justin Deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 01:24 AM   #191
Major Player

DDDDDDDDDDDD signal GY-HD100

Hi,

Our HDD sends this signal to the camera's display (GY-HD251) every now and then in the middle of a take:

------------------------------
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
------------------------------

it seems to indicate a dropout but apparently not always.

The FW connection is correctly plugged in.

Can anyone tell me what this is due to ? Thanks
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 05:09 PM   #192
New Boot

Same thing

On my JVC HD 200 and firestore hd 100, I noticed the same DDDDDDDDDDD. s
This happened twice , as far as I know , but I have been editing this footage and have not noticed any dropped frames or any other problems as of yet.
But it is a bit strange.
I am wondering if it is the firewire connections , that even on my old JVC hd 100 seemed a bit loose.

sr
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:48 AM   #193
Major Player

see, I think a lot of people think that their equipment is running fine, when its not.

I have called firestore, and had them try and pull clips in, and even they cant find the original timecode. so I would be interested to see who else is having this same problem.

to clear things up, the problem is this:

when you record (in any format, HD, SD, QT, M2T, AVI) video, lets say you shoot 4 clips, with the time code starting at 0:00:00:00, you shoot 15 seconds of video per clip so you have a minute of video. Now, I want the sound bites at 0:00:15:00 and 0:00:30:00, so I pull the video clips from the hard drive and into vegas, go to load the clips into either the trimmer window or straight to the timeline, and the time code all starts at 0:00:00:00. for ALL clips. so apparently firestore hasnt fully tested the DR HD100 with vegas yet, even thought the website says it has.

anyway, thats the problem. i guess a lot of people dont actually rely on timecode, so they arent seeing this as a problem.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #194
Regular Crew

Dropped the DR-HD100...

On a shoot in Portugal, the DR-HD100, which was attached to a JVC GYHD201 camera via a Manfrotto hot shoe mount, suddenly worked its way loose and fell on to a marble floor (at a height of about 4-5ft). It was one of those moments when you can only watch in horror (no chance of catching it). Clients and crew stand around in stunned silence. I picked it up expecting that to be the end of it... but it is still working, with no apparent damage at all...

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Will it suddenly die an early death? Or are these units built to withstand such a fall?...

Any feedback appreciated!

Dan
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #195
Regular Crew

I too dropped my Firestore. Fortunately it was off at the time and nothing bad came of it.
The firestore is essentially an hard-drive connected to a controller.
IMO and having dropped a lot of electronics if it doesnt move inside it is hard to harm. So, your firestore's controller part should be ok.
On the hard-drive side it depends if it was completely off, recording or in idle mode (turned on but not recording). If it was recording there is a big chance that the disk got bad sectors. It wont die suddenly but can get you a lot of pain with random errors.
First step for you to be safe: mount it on the pc as you would for footage transfer and do a thorough scan (properties-tools-check errors-scan for bad sectors on XP)
The ultimate step would be to swap the disk itself inside for a brand new identical or larger 2,5in laptop harddrive. It voids your warranty but could prevent footage loss in the future.

Paulo
p.s.: hope you liked your stay in Portugal
Paulo Figueiredo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore