Bad files on DR-HD100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old March 15th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #16
Regular Crew

No, vers. 2.2.0 didn't solve the problem. The issues are with 720p25 recorded as QuickTime, m2t works. Funny thing is I can capture those bad files the way Fernando mentioned. But this way some frames seem to be lost.
BTW, there's a thread on a German forum, same probs, also vers. 2.2.0:
http://www.finalcutprofi.de/phpboard...=156193#156193
Andreas Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #17
Major Player

How do we get the unit to act like a controllable deck in FCPro to playback these files? Is that how your outputting them? I can get it playing back on the LCD, but I can't seem to get FCPro to recognize the device. I am using the DV port on the DR-HD100.

When I use computer, nothing, or it just act like a removable in DD mode.
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi Dave,

connect the firestore to your Mac via dv i/o. Power it on. Start FCP. Go to "Log and Capture". If your setup is correct the firestore will be recognized as a non-controllable device. Select the clip you want to capture (or set the firestore to "Play all"). Hit "Capture Now" in FCP and press the play button on the firestore.
I prefer capturing via DVHSCap or AVCVideoCap (part of Apple's FireWireSDK) and then converting the m2t files in mpegStreamclip. Using FCP I loose up to 6 sec of the beginning of each clip, while FCP says "searching for media".
Old March 16th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Got an email today from Focus Enhancement:

"OK, I just ran some tests with the following....

JVC GY-HD101 camera - Rev A
DR-HD100 recording 720p/24 HDV QuickTime with software version 2.2 (JVC control mode).
Powerbook G4 with Final Cut Pro 5.1.4 and QuickTime version 7.1.3.

I did...
20 clip recordings with tape.
50 clip recordings without tape.

All clips imported and played fine.*

I also upgraded QuickTime Player to version 7.1.5 and re-recorded another 50 clips (w/out tape) and all imported fine.**

The only thing I can think of is Intel Mac vs. Power PC, but I noticed that the first customer in this string is also using a PowerPC Mac (quad G5) like my test machine.**

So, to really understand this, we need to try and get some bad clips from the customer and maybe find out some more info about their shooting setup.* Also, can you ask the customer if they tried to import the bad clips a second time?"

I've uploaded two broken clips so they can test them, let's hope they solve the issue.

To show that it's not only my problem with the firestore, please guys contact FE <<support(at)focusinfo.com>> too!
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Andreas
if I want to log and capture on the final cut in my mac pro, as if it was to recorder DVI/O does not work.Mac intel does not work with DR-HD100, only work in mode computer I/O.

Why?
Javier Tabares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hi Javier,
I don't know how things are on a MacPro. I've tested it on a G4 PowerBook and a G5 Quad. Works on both machines.
Connecting the firestore via dv i/o it will not appear on the desktop. Important: Make sure that you connect the firestore via dv i/o, then press "on", then start FCP. Your FCP setting should be 720p25 (easy setup).
But using FCP to capture you will loose up to 6 sec of the beginning of each clip (FCP says "searching media").
So I prefer capturing via DVSCap or AVCVideoCap and use mpegStreamclip to convert the captured m2t files. Did you try this?
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #22
Major Player

I am using a Mac Pro and my set up is diff in that I am using a HD250. The 2.2 upgrade added support for the 250 in QT.

Out of a day of shooting perhaps 40 clips, about 8 are bad. I noticed at least two of the bad ones are 2 GB files that are then split at the 2GB mark and continue. The 2GB files are bad, while the ones that continue on are fine. But , then again, a few others are bad that are like 200- 400megs.

Dave
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:46 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Focus USA:
"Can you please verify that the OTHERS->BACK SPACE setting on the GY-HDXXX camera is set to P-1394."
And Focus Germany:
"“If the customer has a tape in the GY-HD100E camera when recording, then their camera’s “BACK SPACE” setting may be set to “P-TAPE”. It should be set to “P-1394”.
If this setting is not available on their camera, then they will need to contact JVC to find out the details.”

Please, can someone test it? I don't have this setting available on my cam, JVC suggests an upgrade.

I still think it's the DR-HD100 that causes the problems, because we all in this thread are using different cameras but the same DR-HD100 v2.2.

Edit: Sorry, just noticed that the first one in this thread (Bill) wrote:"My setting on th HD100 are 1394 rec. trig. - synchro, back space (hdv) - p-1394"
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Dr-HD100 and Ver 2.2

Hi:

Based upon the stated problems with the Version 2.2 software update as it relates to the QT format, I have delayed installing it for use with my HD 250U but I wonder if I am missing out on any other advantage of the upgrade?
In addition, is the mt2 format retained as a recording option and has it been determined if the reported issue is related to the Focus software or that of FCP 5.1.4?

Thank you inadvance,
Ron
Ronald Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hi Ronald,

the advantage of the upgrade is to record QuickTimes you can edit directly in FCP.
Recording m2t files requires to convert them to something FCP can work with.
The m2t option remains after upgrading to 2.2. No changes there, just works as before.

It doesn't seem to be a FCP related problem, it looks like the DR-HD100 and the GY-HDxxx aren't interacting well.

Got this message from Focus:
"When I spoke to the development team about your files they said it was because of the camera firmware. So they think upgrading it would fix the problem. They are aware of Bill Parkers files and wanted to look at them. I asked him to send them a copy or upload them. I am not sure where they are with his files.

I kind of lean with you. I have another customer that has the GY-111 and it has the firmware upgrade yet he is also having problems. At this point we have 5 customers experiencing problems with 3 being from Europe. So we are not sure what is exactly going on.

The test group was able to recreate the problem by not having the OTHERS>BACKSPACE setting setup correctly. However, this is not the case with a couple of customers. The test group and most of our customers are not experiencing problems and able to record just fine. So it has been a difficult problem to troubleshoot.

If it isn't hard to do I would upgrade your camera just to see if it will fix the problem."

I've sent my GY-HD100E to JVC for upgrade. Hopefully get it back 'til end of the next week. Will report whether upgrading the cam has solved the problem.
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Dr-Hd-100

Hi Andreas:

Thank you for your reply.
As far as I know, there is no firmware update for the GY HD-250U since it is a relatively new model and, in addition, a post from Dave Beatty (above) states that he has experienced problems with some QT clips and his HD 250. I wonder if all of those who have experienced problems are using the same version of FCP and if the issue is in any way related to its latest update, 5.1.4?
In any event, until the issue is resolved, I will continue to use the MPStreamclip conversion of mt2 files which adds only a minimal degree of inconvenience.
Ron
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Hi Ron,

it's not that you only can't edit those bad files in FCP, there's no application to open them. Though they "contain" a playable stream. You can "recapture" them via FCP or DVHSCap (see previous posts). So those bad files are not lost. And I had bad files before FCP 5.1.4 / QuickTime 7.1.5 / OS 10.4.9.

You said the "conversion of mt2 files (...) adds only a minimal degree of inconvenience." I'm doing news, so time is the most critical thing.

I hinted the Focus team to the fact that we all use different cams with different firmware versions and we have the same problems. The only component we all use is the DR-HD100 v2.2. I may be wrong, but this tells me: it's not the cam, not FCP and not Apple's QuickTime that causes the problem.

So, having sent my cam to JVC and hoping the problem will be fixed is wishful thinking. But the Focus team continues researching the issue and man, their support is great. So I don't give up and hope I will be able to edit directly soon.
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Dr-HD100 and Ver 2.2

Hi Andreas:

I agree, from a purely logical prespective, it would appear that the problem resides in the DR HD-100 software given the fact that not all files are problematic. Hopefully, Focus will arrive at a solution but for the time being, I see no advantage in updating my software to the version 2.2. The time lost in recapturing unreadible files is probably equal to the time spent in file conversion and that does not even address the frustration and anger that I would assume accompanies the interruption of workflow by the finding of unreadible files.
Ron
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:19 AM   #29
Regular Crew

no issues after cam upgrade

Got my GY-HD100E back yesterday, JVC changed some hardware and did an upgrade, don't know what they exactly did, but now everything seems to work.
Spend hours on testing (HDV 720p25 QuickTime), shot a huge amount of short clips and also beyond the 2 gig limit, no issues. Seems the cam upgrade finally did the trick.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:40 AM   #30
Major Player

I wonder if there's a similar upgrade for the HD100. I already have the A version. I haven't heard any solutions to the problems I've been having. I'm not even sure if it's a Dr-HD100 problem or HD100 problem.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore