DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   Audio problems w/ DR-HD100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/88097-audio-problems-w-dr-hd100.html)

Bill Parker March 4th, 2007 09:39 AM

Audio problems w/ DR-HD100

I just finished an all-day shoot yesterday using the DR-HD100 with the HD-100 in 24p and this time, all the clips were there and would open. Unfortunately, the audio is completely unusable. It cuts in and out every other second for all of them. For some reason towards the end of the shoot, the fire store started recording only .m2t files. I converted one of them and discovered that it played back perfectly. I'll convert the rest to see if they are OK as well.

Has anyone had this problem or anything like it?

Thank God for tape!! I love this firestore in principal and would love it to work properly, but I'm having too many problems to rely on it. It's more of a partial backup now than anything else.

Thanks.

William Hess March 4th, 2007 01:36 PM

You mentioned that "towards the end of the shoot, the fire store started recording only .m2t files". Does this mean that you were initially recording 24p Quicktime files using the newer version 2.1 firmware?

I've had my HD-100 and DR-HD100 for 6 months now, have shot well over 50 hours on it, and never had a problem. I'm on the PC side of things, so I've only recorded .M2T.

Bill Parker March 4th, 2007 02:46 PM

Yeah, I was recording QT 24p using the 2.1 firmware which worked fine when I was testing it the other day. Until I find out what's wrong, I'll stick to converting the M2T files, even though it's less convenient.

I've also just discovered that the M2T files that I converted don't join up properly where the clip is broken. Not only do I have to wait for the long renders, I have jump cuts. Has anyone else experienced this?

Kit Hannah March 5th, 2007 04:13 AM

Wow, so that's happening in Fianl Cut now too? Interesting. There is a fix for this for PC users, but how you would do this on the mac, I wouldn't know. Here's the post:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ight=danny+fye

We use Sony Vegas and were having the same gap problems. They were resolved by copying all the files to one file, which actually combined them, removing the gaps. Worked for Vegas, will probably work for FC too.

Bill Parker March 5th, 2007 05:01 AM

Even if there is a workaround for a problem like this, it looks as if that's more work than actually digitizing from the tape, no?

In spite of all these problems, I'm still happy to have a product like this. When it's working, it's an incredible time-saver, particularly for long interviews. If I could only get it to work!

Thanks for your help.

Kit Hannah March 5th, 2007 07:08 PM

The workaround that I posted only takes a few minutes - takes about 2 minutes longer than just copying everything over to a folder. You may be able to go to a mac board and ask how you would copy multiple files to one file.....

Bill Parker March 6th, 2007 09:43 AM

I just reviewed the clips with the problem audio on the firestore and noticed that they play back fine from the DR-HD100 to the camera, but not when I preview them on my G5 or when I copy them to the G5. So the clip will play back fine through the firewire to the camera, but not through the firewire to the computer.

I also just recorded test clips that play back through the camera as well as through the G5. Hmmm ...

Is there a way to somehow get these clips to my G5 some other way? My firestore thinks the clips are fine, but my computer doesn't.

I'm more than a little confused.

Thanks for any feedback.

Dave Beaty March 14th, 2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Parker (Post 636905)
I just reviewed the clips with the problem audio on the firestore and noticed that they play back fine from the DR-HD100 to the camera, but not when I preview them on my G5 or when I copy them to the G5. So the clip will play back fine through the firewire to the camera, but not through the firewire to the computer..

I have experienced the same problem with HD100 and QT. I was shooting 720p30 with 2.1 or 2.0. It has only happened once, so I don't know the cause. The files have bad audio when tranfered to the mac. The audio drops to zero db ever sec over and over, like the audio is just unplugged. Nothing. on and off over and over. You can see this in the waveform view.

Fired up the camera and tested it. Next time it worked flawlessly. Bottom line, don't count on the files. Use tape as back up. These things are buggy.

Bill Parker March 14th, 2007 01:17 PM

That is exactly what happened to me. I can't wait for these bugs to be worked out because when the firestore works, it's such a time saver.

Webb Pickersgill October 7th, 2007 11:08 PM

This audio "blipping" just happened to me. My DR-HD100 has worked fine for almost 2 years now, and suddenly all the footage I shot the other day has this audio problem. The best way I can describe it is like audio drop-out but not quite. I'm shooting 720p/24 using the Quicktime HD option on Firmware 2.2.1.

I know this is an old post, but any resolution?

Bill Parker November 30th, 2007 09:30 AM

I've just shot about four hours of interviews and on some of the takes, I'm getting exactly what you're describing. Sort of a muffled pop that comes an goes. It sounds as if someone's bumped the mic. I digitized the same clip from the tape and it isn't there. Most people (clients anyway) can't tell the difference, but it drives me crazy. Anyone else had this problem?

Webb Pickersgill February 4th, 2008 02:49 PM

This is extremely frustrating!!!
It happened again on a shoot this weekend.

The DR-HD100 is supposed to SAVE you time in post production.. not cost you MORE time! I now have to go back to tape to re-capture this footage... which is also challenging due to the 8-second capture delay problem with the HD50 and FCP. AGGGHHHHH!

Despite how much I LOVE the image I get on my HD100, more than ever, this makes me want to ditch JVC and tape acquisition all together, and go P2, XDCam or SxS.

Signed,
Frustrated in Phoenix

Dave Beaty February 21st, 2008 07:36 AM

I have not had another episode of bad audio yet. I have my fingers crossed. And the clip failure also seems to have vanished.

There are instructions for doing a hard reset on Focus's website. Perhaps that is a good maintenance trick.

As far as the FCPro 8 sec lost per clip...set the preroll to 1 sec in device control. That almost eliminates the gap

Dave.

Webb Pickersgill February 21st, 2008 09:23 AM

The 8-second delay problem only occurs when you capture from tape using the BR-HD50. Nonetheless, I like the pre-roll idea on.

I think I'll try the hard reset and see if that helps. Thanks.