continuous recording for several hours at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old March 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #1
Tourist

continuous recording for several hours

I believe I've read that some cameras require a tape to be in the camera when recording to an external device (like the Firestore, or I guess direct capture through a computer to a hard drive). Therefore, recording will/may stop when the tape runs out. (I suppose with a 80 minute tape on LP you could get 2 hours to the Firestore no matter what.)

I'm plannning on purchasing a Panasonic DVC30 (SD, miniDV) and the FS-4 HD (not Pro). Does anyone know if I will be able to record several continuous hours with this camera and firestore?

Or, what do I look for in any camera's specifications to know if it will be able to record without a tape?

Many thanks!
John
John Banjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi John,

I've done that a few times, going to the Hardrive of a Pana HardDrived DVD Recorder. Horse Shows and Skating Parties.

I use any of my 4 Sony Cams, (525 to 950) and have done up to 9 hrs at a clip.

I usually go from my Cam to two VHS recorders during my Horse Show shoots, and the Cams are on for up to 12 hrs with no Tape in them.

No problems.

What kind of Videography are you planning that goes that long ??

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for the response - this is for boring stuff, like one camera on speeches and lectures, where you pretty much need to keep rolling the whole time.
John Banjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi John,

Yea, I did that many times in past years at training functions for the Court I worked for. If you use HardDrived DVD Recorders, then you can make simple edits and burn DVDs of what you need to give out, or archive. (even multiple copies)

Be sure to use a seperate Monitor to make it all easier. I use anywhere from a 5" to a 26" LCD Monitor. I have everything prewired so I can get on-site and plug and play. I also have my T-Pods set up with Telescopic Control Handles (2' to 4') so I can stand or sit as necessary. Check my posts for comments and Pics.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore