Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture 4:2:2 (1080x1920) over component? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old September 19th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Got it running

Well finally I got the Intensity Pro running. Was actually my fault, i just didnīt look in the BMD directory to find the config tool ;)

So here are my first test images:

The hdv files are captured via firewire, the component via component (that sounds funny lol)
These both are captured from a tape that I shot this summer for my so-called "Abschlussproduktion".
I saved the frames in PPro 2 as tiff files...deinterlaced them in Photoshop and resized the hdv files to 1920x1080....saved to jpg.
Attached Thumbnails
Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture 4:2:2 (1080x1920) over component?-component01.jpg   Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture 4:2:2 (1080x1920) over component?-component02.jpg  

Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture 4:2:2 (1080x1920) over component?-component03.jpg   Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture 4:2:2 (1080x1920) over component?-component04.jpg  

Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture 4:2:2 (1080x1920) over component?-hdv01.jpg   Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture 4:2:2 (1080x1920) over component?-hdv02.jpg  

Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture 4:2:2 (1080x1920) over component?-hdv03.jpg   Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture 4:2:2 (1080x1920) over component?-hdv04.jpg  

Old September 19th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I also uploaded the tif files. they are not deinterlaced and the hdv stills are still 1440x1080...

http://www.kornflex.netprovide.com/dvinfo/menu.htm
Old September 19th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #18

hmmm....doesn't look like the same images for comparison. To my eye, the firewire capture seems more detailed. There seems to be significant difference in shadow/highlight lighting, and a shift in color balance?
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Seitz View Post
So here are my first test images:
Wonderful! Thank you, Rolf. Your test clearly shows that the Doug Harvey's poor results are not systemic. You've put my mind at ease and solidified my plans to order the Intensity Pro.

It would be neat to see some tethered clips, i.e. live input directly to the computer captured to an uncompressed or lossless codec. That would more clearly show the difference between HDV-over-component and uncompressed-over-component.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
Wonderful! Thank you, Rolf. Your test clearly shows that the Doug Harvey's poor results are not systemic. You've put my mind at ease and solidified my plans to order the Intensity Pro.

It would be neat to see some tethered clips, i.e. live input directly to the computer captured to an uncompressed or lossless codec. That would more clearly show the difference between HDV-over-component and uncompressed-over-component.
I will do that in the next days ;) but I can only capture to the BMD MJPEG codec, got no RAID for uncompressed YUV.

The component footage is brighter than the hdv footage, but details and sharpness are nearly the same... I will try to find out if this is the camera or the Intensity Pro that makes the footage "burn out".
Old September 19th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
I will do that in the next days ;)
I'm in your debt.

Quote:
but I can only capture to the BMD MJPEG codec, got no RAID for uncompressed YUV.
You might try capturing just a few seconds of uncompressed. It should be small enough to fit in Windows's write cache.

If that doesn't work (this is *Windows*, after all), you might try a software RAM disk, like this one: http://users.compaqnet.be/cn021945/R...amdiskfree.htm
Old September 19th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #22
Inner Circle

It looks like there's color inaccuracy from decoding the material incorrectly (mixup between Rec. 601 and 709 luma coefficients).

And there is also the blowout going on.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #23
Inner Circle

it could be too that one capture is on 16-235 level and the other one on 0-254 level, then the difference in black and white values.
(ou can check in a paint program to see what are RGB values)
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan View Post
It looks like there's color inaccuracy from decoding the material incorrectly (mixup between Rec. 601 and 709 luma coefficients).

And there is also the blowout going on.

So is that my mistake? Can I change these settings?
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #25
Regular Crew

@Daniel:

Iīll try my best ;)
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
So is that my mistake? Can I change these settings?
I don't think it's your mistake. Properly-engineered equipment should figure it out automatically.

I'm not familiar enough with your camera, HDV codec on your system, and the Intensity to say if there's any settings that could be changed.

Though you can try a different HDV/mpeg2 codec... some of them will get it wrong. Though that's only if the HDV footage (e.g. not the Intensity) footage that is wrong.

2- The blowout looks like it's happening because the analog gain on the footage is too high... perhaps the Intensity has some proc amp controls that could adjust the signal to bars.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #27
Major Player

Component is soft, btw. I had three 50 foot cables for component, and it was soft :(

So I got a nanoConnect for HDMI to HD-SDI.. much sharper.
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ducon View Post
Component is soft, btw. I had three 50 foot cables for component, and it was soft :(
What do you think of component over short distances, like 10 feet? Rolf's stills show that component as enough resolution for me, that's for sure. (I hate interlaced video, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.)
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #29
Major Player

I'd test it, but I'd think it'd be great.

When I used my 50' cable, it was nice at first glance, but not as sharp as HDV (I always thought I had the focus off, but it was just soft.. nothing I could do) - and couldn't get it as sharp in post. 50' is long though. 1080i over analog is fine ... I'll do component out to my HDTV once I get one, so it's not poor solution. So, YES - Do it if you can.. 4:2:2 beats 4:2:0 hands down, AND you'll skip HDV compression. Just make sure you use a good codec when importing.. stay far away from DVCPRO HD. I'd recommend JPEG or ProRes 422 if you're near a Macintosh.
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:56 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan View Post
2- The blowout looks like it's happening because the analog gain on the footage is too high... perhaps the Intensity has some proc amp controls that could adjust the signal to bars.
Yeah that could be the Problem, but there is no such feature... at least not in the prefernce settings of the card.
It would really be nice if a BMD Guy was following this thread and could help.
If Iīm not the only one with this Problem, we could tell BMD. Then they could update the Firmware or Driver if they find the problem that causes this.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition