DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   "Better Picture" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/107664-better-picture.html)

Hubert Hofer November 10th, 2007 07:24 PM

"Better Picture"

hi,
I quite often read about how this or that camera has a better picture. Yesterday, i spoke with a video camera lecturer who, when asked which camera he'd choose for outdoor videography (Sony V1 or Canon A1) he replied that he preferred the A1 because it's got a "nicer" picture and a wider lens. The wider lens is a point. What is a better or nicer picture ? Is a better picture one that makes everything look better ? Or is it one which makes a picture realistic ? I see a lot of spectacular video on TV but as spectacular it may be it is not realistic. A lot of footage colour is so over the top that it actually spoils the whole video. (OK, I'm showing my age here :-) So, because I want to buy a good camera with a good picture I ask if anyone has done a comparison yet with these cams.
cheers H

Chris Soucy November 10th, 2007 10:03 PM

Hi Hubert........

Can't say I've done a comparison, simply migrated from a Canon XL1s to a XH A1.

The picture on the A1 "out of the box" is extremely good, exceedingly good in fact, but very neutral. With the use of on camera "pre - sets", you can make it look like anything you want, from dead in the water to OTT CSI Miami whattheheckcolouristhat?

Can't answer your Q re "better/ nicer picture" without taking the rest of the evening and still leaving it in subjective limbo.

Guess you don't have a lot of video "super stores" to hand where you can see before you buy, so reckon you're just going to have to take it from owners own mouths - go A1 is my vote.

CS

Hubert Hofer November 11th, 2007 01:40 AM

Better picture

many thanks Chris,
You're right there's not much where I am presently, as a matter of fact there's not even a store.
I have bought a Sony AI & a HC1 which are ok in their own little way. I just want to go either 3cmos or 3ccd for a"better" (there's that word again) picture when shooting outdoor scenery. The single chip is ok for underwater but I'd like more detail above water. I also have to give the tropical humidity some consideration & friends have had trouble with both Sony & Canon. I might just flip the coin.

Chris Soucy November 11th, 2007 04:01 AM

Hi again....

Well, as for the humidty, having toted this sort of stuff all over China, Pakistan and India at interminable length, the only time (apart from straight out water ingress from downpours) I ever had a problem was when availing myself of the comforts of air conditioning after a hot day out and about.

Very quickly learnt that it's great for the soul but real hard on the hardware.

Still, I have a pretty good idea what the weather's like up there in the Straits, and full time, year in, year out must take it's toll.

Hope you flip the right combination.

Keep us posted!

CS

Ervin Farkas November 13th, 2007 03:02 PM

One other thing

Nicer/better means one thing to me and another thing to you, so you will have to define your needs/goals.

It is no secret that Canon cameras aim generally toward the smoother film look with warmer colors while Sony cams go for the sharper, cooler video look.