Firewire hack to work as LANC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old November 25th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Firewire hack to work as LANC

OK I was pondering the other day. Firewire can be used to send coammends to the camera for capturing etc from software...therefore presuambly it could be used as a means of providing LANC operation of cameras (that don't have LANC). Does anybody know if this has been done where i should look?

S
Simon Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Firewire is simply a way to send and receive information from/to camera.
Lanc is another way (while a lot more limited).
If you do not specify which function exactly you are looking at, it is difficult to answer.
But to make it short, Firewire command set usually include almost all commands you can find into Lanc (including zoom and focus control).
the problem is that the command set is rarely fully implemented into a consumer camera.
Actually, i am not sure that Sony has implemented zoom control over Firewire
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

LANC is simply a very limited signal sent in a series of pulses (each command is repeated seven times; it's a very old analog protocol).

There's a Canon software called Console which offers complete control of all XL and XH series camcorders through FireWire; all external controls as well as internal (custom presets, etc.) but it is not compatible with other camera makes and models.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

My thoughts and wonderings are is there anybody out there that makes a LANC type control using Firewire interface for those cameras taht dont have lanc...it would seem an obvious thingto do?
Old November 26th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Inner Circle

the problem is that camera that are not implementing something as simple as Lanc will probably not support these command neither by firewire, since you do not only need the interface but all the electronics to control the camera.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #6
Major Player

Most cameras that don't have LANC have some other method for control purposes. For example, the HVX lacks LANC, but has it's own equivalent for zoom/focus/record.

Simon, do you have a specific purpose in mind? Personally, I would love a cheap and simple "Firewire to Timecode" or "LANC to Timecode" adapter!

Chris!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

A controller using FireWire will need a CPU plus its own source of power. If there were such a thing as a PDA with FireWire, that would be ideal, but I haven't heard of one yet.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Chris, The only idea i was after was having a degree of control for when the camera is on a stick...we are doing some adventure filming so its easier than a more complex rope rig....
Old December 2nd, 2007, 02:03 PM   #9
Major Player

What camera are you using?
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition