Wildlife HDV camera??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old January 24th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Wildlife HDV camera???

Just wondering, With tens of millions of people doing outdoor activities and millions of people videoing wildlife why hasn't a camera company made a camera marketed to the outdoor wildlife videographer? It seems every camera in HDV format is between a 10X and 14X lens which is not enough for videoing wildlife from a distance(I know get a teleconverter,"havent seen one that doesnt Vignette). I know the V1 and XLH1, A1, and G1 are 20X which is way better but bad in low light. With the EX,240,and Z7 they have done some great work with getting low light capabilities that blow away the 4,5 lux cameras of old. Its a great starting point but someone needs to come out with an out of the box HDV camera with a 20X or better lens that is also good in low light marketed to the outdoor enthusiast, and there are millions of them right now outside videoing and wondering when the right camera for them will arrive.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Trustee

<<<Just wondering, With tens of millions of people doing outdoor activities and millions of people videoing wildlife why hasn't a camera company made a camera marketed to the outdoor wildlife videographer?>>>

My first guess would be cost. There are solutions available now such as the Canon XL series using adapters and 35mm glass. Yes, a rig like this costs a lot of money, but you can take off the long lens and use it for other purposes which makes for a better over all value.

<<<I know the V1 and XLH1, A1, and G1 are 20X which is way better but bad in low light.>>>

I would say that there a more than enough light outdoors in 97% of all situations. I usually have to had neutral density filters to get the iris settings I prefer and the H1 is actually pretty good in low light (inside).

<<someone needs to come out with an out of the box HDV camera with a 20X or better lens that is also good in low light marketed to the outdoor enthusiast, >>

So maybe what you are saying is that Canon should market to the wildlife community? The H1 does have a 20X lens as standard equipment. That said, I find 20X not nearly enough in most situations. Is the H1 too expensive? Well, one can easily spend $50K on a telephoto lens alone, so I would say probably not if you look at what it truly costs to get something a long way off up close and in sharp focus.
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Outdoor cam

I can say the many outdoor tv shows including mine are using the XH A1 and it is a dream! the 20x is great and the lowlight is very good, The picture quality is unbelieveable with all the presets available, my fav is (VIVDRGB) and (Outdoor low light i can remember the #)you can make great outdoor films.

I went from a pd 170 and still do use it, to a FX1 which i sold after the first hunt filmed with it, to the A1 and can say i wont be switching, I will be getting another!
Kirk Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #4
Major Player

How do you think the 240 and the Z7 will handle 2/3 inch lenses such as the fuji 18X with built in extender. We went from the DSR 390 to the Z1 a few years ago and have enjoyed getting HDV footage over DVCam but sure do miss the lowlight capabilities and the bayonet 2/3 lens with extender. Just wondering how those 2 new cameras will handle in low light situations flicking on the extender. From what i have heard with the lux rating of both it sounds like it should handle that situation quite well. Wondering also if the adapter for 2/3 inch lenses is beefy or some platic thing.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. McCloskey View Post
How do you think the 240 and the Z7 will handle 2/3 inch lenses such as the fuji 18X with built in extender. We went from the DSR 390 to the Z1 a few years ago and have enjoyed getting HDV footage over DVCam but sure do miss the lowlight capabilities and the bayonet 2/3 lens with extender. Just wondering how those 2 new cameras will handle in low light situations flicking on the extender. From what i have heard with the lux rating of both it sounds like it should handle that situation quite well. Wondering also if the adapter for 2/3 inch lenses is beefy or some platic thing.
240? You must mean the S270, the shoulder mount version of the Z7. Anyway, let's get real. Handle low light with an 18x lens with extender engaged. I don't think so. This camera will have three 1/3rd inch sensors. Yes, it will be better than the V1, but remember these camcorders will come standard with only a 12x zoom lens. I know the units have interchangeable lens, but the low light rating is based on this default lens. Add the adapter, larger lens and extender, and I think you're going to need a good amount of light to make good pictures. The only attractive points about the Z7 and S270 are the interchangeable lens and hybrid recording to tape and flash card and possibly the shoulder mount design and the optional recording of 4 audio channels with the S270. If you're shooting outdoors with plenty of light, it won't be a problem. If you're shooting in low light, I believe you will have problems.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Thats what I thought, Thanks John. Looks like XDHD is the way to go for what we are trying to accomplish. THX again
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition