Still photo resolution for inclusion in HD video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 8th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Still photo resolution for inclusion in HD video

When I was just doing slide shows in digital, I used to shoot stills at the highest resolution my camera would allow as I would often zoom into the photo during its display, and the extra resolution kept it sharp even if I was displaying only a portion.

Fast forward to now....If I want to have some stills in a HD video production, and plan just to display them - nothing fancy... is there ANY reason to shoot them at a resolution higher than the finished product (e.g. x1080) ? What do I gain by shooting at a higher resolution? Or am I missing something. From my other experience higher resolution vastly increases render time, and in this instance for what?

Can someone confirm my reasoning on this and offer reasons why I might want to use a higher res? Thanks.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If you don't want to zoom in, then shoot them at your output resolution.

But I would take the photos at a little higher resolution because most cameras use a 8 x 12 frame which does not match the 16 x 9 frame of HD.

So some more resolution might give you some wiggle room in terms of cropping and posotioning to fill the frame with the best content.

Plus, HD is going to show much more detail than SD for photographs.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #3
Trustee

Personally I shoot at high resolution, then later batch resize the images down to a smaller size before importing them into video projects.

Having the high-rez original keeps options open for other projects; batch resizing (in Photoshop, Irfanview, whetever...) takes only moments and fixes the render time issue.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition