Extension .mpeg or .m2t when, what, where? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 6th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Extension .mpeg or .m2t when, what, where?

Im confused. When you capture from an HDV camera isnt the extension type usually .m2t?
How come my captures are extension type .mpeg?

Im using Canon XHA1 with premiere pro CS3.

Just wondering cause the client is asking for .M2T files... and well, did i do something wrong?
Old March 8th, 2008, 01:05 AM   #2
Trustee

An m2t file is a transport stream; an mpg file is (usually) a program stream. Transport streams carry extra error correction and are used when data is being transmitted e.g., by satellite or - in the case of HDV cameras - down firewire cables. Program streams are typically used for playback from physical media, like DVDs.

Visually transport streams are identical to program streams, and there is software (e.g. MpegStreamclip) that can losslessly mux from one to the other.

Some software (e.g Procoder and probably MpegStreamclip) will tell you which type of file you have. If your files have been captured directly from the camera, chances are they are transport streams and you can simply manually change their extensions to m2t.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Inner Circle

This brings up another question: what exactly happens at the time of capture?

I suspect that capturing with HDVSplit is simply copying the content of the tape to the hard drive, but what is happening when capturing directly into an NLE?
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Trustee

I just checked with what I have available here .... when I take the .mpeg file that CS3 generates by 'capturing' HDV from the camera and load that into Procoder, Procoder reports that it's a transport stream.

All the parameters that Procoder reports seem to be identical to those for a raw .m2t file imported from the same camera using Cineform's HDLink.

Hope that helps.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition