Buying a used XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 13th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Buying a used XH-A1

Well I was hoping that I would be able to sell my pretty much new XL2 and get an XH-A1 (should have just gotten it origanally but it was not in the budget at the time). So I guess my XL2 is worth only, maybe, $2600. So what would be the going rate or a good price on a "used" XH-A1? Since you can get them for $3095 shipped new.
Russell Feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Used SD camera prices are dropping pretty fast. Used A1s are selling in a range between about $2500-2800.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I know what you mean about the SD camera prices. Must be because most people are upgrading to HD and there are so many on the market. Just kills me to know how much I paid in September and how now it is worth nearly a grand less.
Russell Feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

You have to weigh the amount of depreciation (say it is $1000) against what you've earned with the camera (assuming it was a business expense). I say this a lot, in fact I just made a post about this in another board, but a camcorder like this (XL2 or XH A1) is one of only two things:

1. a business expense
2. a luxury item

It can't be anything else other than those two things. In other words, either you're using it to make money, or you're not. If you're using it to make money, then hopefully the camera will have paid for itself within six months. If so, then any amount you can get from selling it used -- even if the depreciation is 50% of its original cost -- that amount is a *profit* for you, not a loss.

If you're not using the camera for business, then it's a luxury item, and the depreciation is par for the course in the electronics world. You have to fully expect it, in other words, it should come as no surprise.

I have nothing against owning these camcorders as luxury items; I'm just saying there's no practical way *I* could own one unless I could make it pay for itself, and then if I've done that, any price it gets when it comes time to sell it is just gravy. Even at $1000 depreciation or more.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Chris good post, and I understand what you mean.
Russell Feller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition