6 pin to 4 pin FW adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 12th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #1
Major Player

6 pin to 4 pin FW adapter

Greetings.

I was cleaning out the basement and came across an Apple 6 pin to 4 pin firewire adapter, #591-0080.

I don't yet have the camera, but will this work without problems capturing video from a Canon XH A1?

Just wondering if I need to buy a seperate 6-4 pin FW cable.

Thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #2
Trustee

I have one and it works for me-
Nate Haustein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin View Post
Greetings.

I was cleaning out the basement and came across an Apple 6 pin to 4 pin firewire adapter, #591-0080.

I don't yet have the camera, but will this work without problems capturing video from a Canon XH A1?

Just wondering if I need to buy a seperate 6-4 pin FW cable.
It looks like this adapter would work with a 6-pin to 6-pin FW cable to connect to your camera BUT I wouldn't recommend it.

The 4 pin FW socket on a Canon XH-A1 is not all that robust, and putting a longish solid adapter with the 6-pin connector on the end could put a lot of physical leverage and strain on the camera's socket. At best, the connection will become loose over time, at worst you could bust the socket completely if the cable with the adapter at the end of it gets jerked.

This kind of connection adapter is best done with a very short lead, rather than a solid plug/socket assembly but it would be safer to run a 4-pin to 4-pin FW cable to the camera with a 4-pin female to 6-pin male adapter - the opposite of what you have - at the computer end.

I just use a 4-pin th 6-pin FW cable but I know some folks have concerns about possible electrical probs as the 6-pin end connects to bus power at the computer end.

Last edited by Colin McDonald; May 12th, 2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Nate and Colin.

Thanks for your insights.

I think I'll be a big spender when it comes time to get the camera and po for the 4-6 cable. A short one at that.

But I am going to try out the adapter, and if it works, use that in a pin. I just have a whole bunch of 6-6 firerwire cables lying around waiting to get used.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition