Thompson GV Infinity at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 15th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Thompson GV Infinity

Any news on the Infinity? Not heard anything about it for ages - never a good sign!
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Any news on the Infinity? Not heard anything about it for ages - never a good sign!
Steve
It seems they're for sale - KVBC Las Vegas has ordered 18.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6532659.html

It appears to be aimed at broadcasters. The older news being that the BBC appears to have been testing it along side P2 cameras.
http://tvbeurope.com/pdfs/TVBE_downl..._News_P3-8.pdf

I've read that it's very good at green screen work.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeah, Brian, that's what I'm talking about, bloody older news July 2006!!! Surely something must have happened since then!?
There was talk of overheating and a few other issues, as well as 70gig RevPros, and what about edit support for JPEG2000?
And a firmware upgrade for 24/25P?
Steve
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I believe Edius offers support for JPEG2000?

In truth I think Infinitys initial appeal was the offer of consumable AND solid state media in the same camera. Since then, SxS has been announced, solid state memory prices have fallen generally, and the new Sony PDW700 promises (with an add on) to offer the same hybrid nature with disc and SxS.

Coupled with that, Compact Flash prices have fallen to the point where they are only 2-3x as much per GB as RevPro. That may mean that GV may be better now simply going for a CF only camera. Cheaper, lighter, lower power consumption.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Yeah, Brian, that's what I'm talking about, bloody older news July 2006!!! Surely something must have happened since then!?
There was talk of overheating and a few other issues, as well as 70gig RevPros, and what about edit support for JPEG2000?
And a firmware upgrade for 24/25P?
Steve
Here's what appears to be a new version:

http://thomsongrassvalley.com/docs/D...AM-3024D-7.pdf

Progressive it's 720p50 or 720p60 or for interlace 1080i50 or i60. You could extract 25p in post, but that spec reads as a broadcast camera, tending more towards news and general programme production.

I think they were trying to avoid using the fans for cooling, that most of the high end cameras have.

Chinese TV has bought 15 infinity cameras for the news production at the Olympics.
http://www.nidinfo.com/index.php/200...t-nab2008.html
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Not interested in 720/25P, they need 1080/25P. And Edius? With all due respect, who cares if that has support? If it can't go easily into FCP and Avid it'll not find a lot of support in broadcast at the moment I don't think.
Thanks for the responses guys.
Steve
Old February 1st, 2010, 08:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Does anyone in the UK know of any rental houses with the Infinity available?

Thanks,

Jonathan
Jonathan Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:12 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Not sure if anyone acttually bought one!
Creative Video has the listed for sale.
Why do you want to use one out of interest?
Steve
Old February 1st, 2010, 05:43 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Well I usually shoot P2, but this camera has interested me for a while, since I heard about it ages ago from a Reuters cameraman who were testing the prototype. Now that it has a 1080/25p mode activated and can record to flash card as well as Rev Pro, as well of course as the workflow, I thought it was time to give it a look. Certainly Mike Brennan in HD magazine here in the UK was impressed with the early model he tested.

Sadly, not even Thomson/GV here in the UK know of any rental houses that carry it.
Jonathan Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition