How to achieve Shallowest Depth of Field at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old September 14th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to achieve Shallowest Depth of Field

Without going to Letus Extreme, how do I achieve the shallowest depth of field for interviews and such with an XHA1 or an XLHI or an HV30?. Can I combine a simple technique of Zoom In to the max, subject close up, ND engaged, f stop at around 2.8, WITH some plug in that works with Final Cut Pro Suite 2. I have looked at a lot of plug ins and there seems nothing out there that comes in even closed to the Letus Extreme, but I suspect it won't be too long before there is or the camera manufacturers start doing something!

Tim
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Wrangler

It's unlikely that you'll get a plug-in that accurately replicates the optical characteristics of shallow DOF.

The other things you mentioned are about the best you can do from the camera standpoint without going to a DOF adapter.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Major Player

You got the right idea. You're going to need a lot of light and ND so you can crank the iris wide open. You already know pretty much what you can do with the lens you have.
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
You can also dial in some shutter (up to 1/250th if it's a talking head with next to no motion in the background) to force the iris open more, if you run out of ND.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition