Jvc gy-hd110 vs. sony HVR-Z1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old September 30th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dortignac View Post
Hey! Thanks for all the input!
It's been really helpful!

I think I'll probably end up going with the Z1. It sounds like it fits my style and application better. Even though I'm a sucker for big fancy cameras, but I think I'll get over my ego trip and buy the camera that works best for me.
Really? Why? After reading the posts here I thought anyone would choose the JVC. To me its toy vs pro camera.
Old September 30th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Different horses for different courses.

You can toss a Z1, two of the largest camcorder-fit batteries and a tape in a backpack of clothes and go, No frigging around with half-hour camcorder batteries and dragging a solar around to charge them or dragging around a heavy IDX or Anton Bauer or vee-mount.

The JVC is a familiar toolset for previous users of higher-end cameras.

Both cameras share user anecotes of downtime due to breakdowns.

In my experience.

Sony Z1 - got dusted at a rock gig - head clean and tape path alignment.

JVC - Two firewire boards - refasten carry handle - LCD detached - service and clean.

Both have about 90 hrs up on the drums.

Each offers a unique benefit to particular users. It not Chevy versus Ford here.

Last edited by Bob Hart; September 30th, 2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #18
Major Player

24p? Choose JVC. 60i? Choose Sony or Canon or even Panisonic

Well I get about 4 hours for each of my IDX batteries and about 1 hour out of the stock replacment IMPACT brand batteries before I went to the IDX battery system..... (probably should have just bought $300 in the IMPACT brand batteries would habe been the smarter move. Replace tape and battery at the same time and call it good).

I shoot 24p exclusivly, and the Sony HDV platform simply doesn't deliver. 60i great, 24p sony doesn't do that great, and I refuse to spend hours rendering and converting 60i to 24p. But the thing to remember is I shoot 24p. The JVC is a real 24p camera. 30p I think is worthless except for You-tube and if you need a 60i look at the Canon or Sony HDV platforms. My next camera (assuming it's not a used HD100/110 as a B camera) will likely be a Panasonic HPX-500, though I wouldn't turn my nose up to a HVX-200 used if it where the right price. I'm not a big fan of HDV color handling regardless... but it is cheaper to shoot than P2 cards.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Humphrey View Post
My next camera (assuming it's not a used HD100/110 as a B camera) will likely be a Panasonic HPX-500, though I wouldn't turn my nose up to a HVX-200 used if it where the right price. I'm not a big fan of HDV color handling regardless... but it is cheaper to shoot than P2 cards.
Hi Alex,,
I am thinking the same way about my next camera. I was wondering what would make you choose the HPX500..I have the 13x lens on my JVC111 so would have to have a wide on the HPX500 as well.
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Robinson View Post
Hi Alex,,
I am thinking the same way about my next camera. I was wondering what would make you choose the HPX500..I have the 13x lens on my JVC111 so would have to have a wide on the HPX500 as well.
I'm not overly happy with HDV in general, howver unlike HDV 1080i 24f, our 720p 24fps works as advertised and the 1080i HDV sony and canons don't. Your glass is exceptional. If you Panasonic or the better Sony's you will have the same issues of the stock lens being OK, but for $3,000 to $6,000 more you get a substancially better lens. Looking around at the 2/3 lenses they range from $2,000 to $30,000 and I'm sure it's a long gradual curve. BH had over 111 2/3 different lenses for instance.

Now....

If say the new Sony/JVC/FocusEnhancements gear that is coming out in a few months for the JVC 200U has the XD-CAM or similar file format, that might be a real winner. A little less compressed for 24p and a LOT less compressed for better 60i/60p as well as 1080i for those clients, combined with a 17x or 13x lens. I wouldn't have a reason to jump ship.

I wish I had gotten a 200u instead of a 110. Hindsite is 20/20, but then again, I shoot 24p, even for sports footage.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #21
Major Player

Sony FIRST 24p HDV camcorder??!!! HVR-Z5U

Just to help prove myself wrong before anyone else does. Sony is releasing in Dec 2008 (this month) the HVR-Z5U. I hadn't paid much attention to Sony recently because of my 24p interest for myprojects... HOWEVER, Sony is releasing a 24p camera. Sony Fan Boys I'm sure know all about it. Reportedly 24p/30p (only? No I don't believe it either... it must have 60i as well) 3 x 1/3 Clear Vid Cmos sensors (diaganly rotated as the other recent Sony products) The 24p is said to be captured then recorded in the 1080i 60i format with flags for NLE reconstruction. Will this be better than Canon's 24f? Perhaps. Canon's 24f is pretty nice I admit. They are still in the 60i transport streame which means lots of number crunching in longer GOP's than I think is necissary. MSRP at $4,950. Even if street is $1,000 less it would make more sense for someone to get a Canon unless I discover something thrilling in the sony manual I just downloaded. Again, 60i, both cameras are good. I probably like physically Sony more than the Canon. Up till this one, Canon had the Sony beat for their flavor of 24f. Both took a lot more CPU time than JVC 720p did (12 GOP 1080i vs 6 GOP 720p) and downconverting 720p HDV to SD DVD took 1/3 as much time as similar footage from 1080i 24f to SD DVD.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition