XH A1 or HVX200 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old January 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Humphrey View Post
So what was your purpose for the camera?

A friend asked me the same question, but he was looking for a camera to shoot a pilot for the Outdoor Life Channel. One of their formats was DVCPRO-HD. They did not accept HDV format. I suggested the HVX-200 for that reason. Shoot, edit, export DVCPRO-HD. (1080i). Since then Discovery/History channels have declared (in general) that only 10% or 15% of footage may be from HDV source (with exceptions, but as a general rule) They have since declared the HVX-200 to be equal to HDV unlike the HPX-500 cameras to be considered DVCPRO-HD. On top of all of that, (to beat a dead horse) it was expensive ($300 a tape) to have the footage taken from the Hard Drive and duped to full sized DVCPRO-HD tapes. (they didn't accept hard drives in the mail for some reason). He also has short recording times due to the cost of P2 cards. However he landed a contract and is now being broadcast coast to coast withonly a few hiccups along the way.

I shoot 24p and need hours of recording time while out in the field. The P2 systems are out due to cost of P2 Store devices and cost per hour of P2 cards. I also prefer a ENG style camera. So I picked the JVC HD110. I think the footage is equal or better than the Panasonic HVX-200 even considering it's HDV. I didn't consider the Canon since it's 24f and I need turn around time. Exporting 24f in a 1080i timeline takes me 2x to 3x longer than from a 720p 24fps source. So for me Canon was out for me. It does not need to be (OUT) for you.

Sony and Canon HDV are more similar to each other.

So the question is, what exactly is your purpose and use? If it's general use and maybe some indie work down the road, the Canon is a great choice. If you are needing a more broadcast friendly format (less compressed from start to finish) the Panasonic HVX-200 or HPX-170 or if you can swing it HPX-500. Yet at that point you are up to Sony's XD-Cam price range and so forth. JVC's 24p/60p cameras are not to be ignored either. Good solid cameras that compete very favorably with $10k and up cameras. Lots of networks are picking those as well for location, usually with DTE drives and microwave as well. Often these are the B cameras for more and more network NFL broadcast. I think all are fine choices today, and I think more has to do with the individual person using it. I do say I prefer a ENG style camera, but there are many times I wish I had a little Sony HDV A1u type of camera in a bag and not have to drag out the 3 foot beast.
One minor thing, the Canon XL H1 and the JVC HD250 were approved for 100% HDV content over 2 years ago with DiscoveryHD. One of our clients helped push the Canon through with them.

Jim Martin
Birns & Sawyer Inc.
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #17
Regular Crew

100% hdv = 15% of the show

not 100% of the show for Discovery HD or BBC HD
Herminio Cordido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #18
Major Player

Yes, 100% of the show on HDV.....before that it was up to 25% HDV, mainly for the Sony F900 shooters...they were using the Z1u in tight quarters but DiscoveryHD prefered 0% HDV from that camera.

Jim Martin
Jim Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition