Difference in shooting 24p or 30p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old January 15th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Difference in shooting 24p or 30p?

Hi,

Just moved from a Sony PD150 to a Sony Z5U. With all the options I have it is very confusing.
Like the difference between shooting Progressive 24 or 30 specifically for a web video. What is the difference? I tend to slow a lot of scenes down in post will this be a problem?

Thanks
Marco Giordani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Trustee

There are probably two generic concerns, given what you're looking to do. First, the difference between 24 and 30 is the look. Which one do you like best? For me and others, apparently, this is a personal decision. Try them both and see which you prefer.

For Web delivery, 24 might be a better shot for you since it will decrease download bandwidth with equivalent compression/quality per frame. Smaller files, faster downloads. It could broaden your audience.

Finally, shooting progressive makes for tougher options for slow motion. Many NLEs pull the interlaced frames apart to build new frames when slowing down your footage. You can do it with progressive footage but in certain situations it will be more difficult. There are tools that can help you get around it.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Major Player

30p? don't do it!

Well you can, but it's limited and not great.

1. Distribution on DVD: 30p does not play well on DVD players. DVD recognises 24p and 60i and the extra 6 progressive frames gets interlaced and becomes 12 interlaced frames mixed in making the worst DVD you have seen in years. Might as well shoot NTSC 60i for that effect.

2. Distribution on internet: 30p takes up more bandwidth that 24p and some browsers/computers/internet-providers can/do turn your 30p footage into nice 15p footage. great. thanks for the stuttery video.

3. Distribution 24p on DVD: Since DVD's were engineered to play 60i as well as movies from film they recognize downconverted 24p HD (720/1080p) to DVD 24p (23.97) in a 60i (59.98 or what ever it was) nearly perfectly.

30p is best for........ making slow motion in a 24p timeline. Looks nice. Other than that, the only reason would be if you had JVC HD110 and needed HD footage for the TV network that shows 60p, or 1080i and the 30p can be moved into either broadcast format easier than 24p. But for going to consumers, I think it stinks regardless of what camera company.

did I mention I don't like 30p? Looks great in HD though. Just not when I market DVD's and such. Looks good on my ipod tough though, but then again so does 24p.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition