Help: EX3 workflow/settings for film out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 10th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help: EX3 workflow/settings for film out

Hey all,

Cross-posted this from XDCAM forum cuz lots of views but no answers.

I'm getting ready to shoot my first feature with my new EX3. Can anyone point me to some info (or can you tell me) the best EX3 settings if I want to eventually go out to film for theatrical distribution? Some questions I have are:

1. What is the best frame rate? 24p from the EX3 or go with higher rate and change it in post?

2. Setting for Gamma and all those other cool things I don't yet know about :)

3. Workflow suggestions (I'm going HD-SDI out to CF cards because I've heard this gives me the best quality video for later editing in FCP)

4. Anything else you can tell me would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,

Micheal
Micheal McAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You probably aren't getting a lot of responses for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is that it seems pretty "out there" to be preparing to "shoot a feature" on a camera you don't know much about. And some of the questions you've asked would lead someone to believe you need to slow down a bit and evaluate where you're at.

The EX3 only shoots in one gamma, REC.709. The same as any other HD camera. And if you're going to be going out to film, you had better be shooting 24fps. Have you talked with the lab to see how they are going to want the footage? And how are they going to sync sound? What does your DP think about the camera?

What capacity are you acting in on this project? Producer? DP, camera operator, lone gunman?
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

hey perrone

thanks for the reply

well I'm planning to shoot at the end of summer so this is the start of my research and planning and learning the EX3... this is why I love these great resources like DVi

currently I'll be directing, but I hope to have a DP too... if not I'll be "lone gun"

I thought there was a way to tweak the gamma in the EX3... I'll have to look into this...

good idea about the lab... I'll find one and give them a call... I think eFilm has some specs for digital-to-film but not sure

cheers,

micheal
Micheal McAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal McAlexander View Post
I thought there was a way to tweak the gamma in the EX3... I'll have to look into this...
Yes, of course you are right. You can tweak the gamma. But you'll still be playing in Rec.709 color space.

The gamma you choose or build, is rather personal depending on what you want the footage to look like.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition