What camcorder is one step up from the Canon HV20/30? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 21st, 2009, 10:04 AM   #1
Major Player

What camcorder is one step up from the Canon HV20/30?

I'd like to upgrade from the Canon HV20 as a "point and shoot" secondary camcorder. I found the HV20 perfect except for its lack of a fully manual mode.

What camera has similar size and specs (and price tag) but offers manual WB, aperture and shutter speed? Tape is preferred (I can use it as a cheap tape deck for my H-A1), memory card is good too. No HDD or DVD.

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Trustee

If you have an A1, you own the next step up in HDV cams. The HV40 has some nice feature improvements over the HV20, but it's not a very much different cam. There seems to be a large gulf between consumer and prosumer.

It's interesting that my first Hi8 cam had more manual adjustments, including proper focus and zoom rings. Even my Pany GS 400 (SD DV) only lets you use the ring for either zoom or focus. Only one at a time. It's also a PITA to make adjustments as they're strewn all around in the menus. My HV30, whilst not as flexible, is so much easier to modify settings.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
If you have an A1, you own the next step up in HDV cams. The HV40 has some nice feature improvements over the HV20, but it's not a very much different cam. There seems to be a large gulf between consumer and prosumer.
I need something light and inconspicuous that won't make me shed tears of pain if I drop it from a speeding car - like the HV20/30. But I need fully automatic aperture AND shutter speed, at the same time.

EDIT: I meant to write "fully manual", of course. I already know about the photo button trick to lock aperture, but it's time-consuming.

J.

Last edited by Jacques E. Bouchard; February 22nd, 2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:46 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Am I missing something here? The HVs have fully automatic modes. Just slide the top slider button on the right side of camera to Auto. Are you saying you want to lock them in to a set shutter speed and aperature. That is also possible, using the tricks that are now so well known..

Last edited by Chris Barcellos; February 22nd, 2009 at 11:18 AM.
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The HV20 also has manual white balance.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:41 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques E. Bouchard View Post
What camera has similar size and specs... but offers manual WB, aperture and shutter speed?
You already have manual WB, and when shooting in Tv (shutter priority) mode, you have manual shutter. When in Tv mode, press Exp. Lock for manual aperture control as well.

There is no Canon HDV camcorder model between the HV series and XH series.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
I need fully automatic aperture AND shutter speed, at the same time.
I'm assuming that you meant full manual (you said automatic) control over aperature and shutter speed at the same time. Unfortunately, no such camera currently exists. The HV20/30/40 is as close as you can get at the moment without stepping up to a prosumer camera. So you are kind of bound to working within the tricks for locking exposure, etc that were mentioned. Fortunately, they are there and do work, although they don't supplant full manual controls.

Last edited by Tom Alexander; February 22nd, 2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added link
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Tom. Yes, I obviously meant "fully manual".

I already know about the trick to lock the aperture in shutter priority mode. But it's time-consuming because it uses trial-and-error, and every time the camera auto shuts off it has to be re-set.

I'm not married to the Canon brand, BTW.

J.
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks Tom. Yes, I obviously meant "fully manual".

I already know about the trick to lock the aperture in shutter priority mode. But it's time-consuming because it uses trial-and-error, and every time the camera auto shuts off it has to be re-set.

J.
Yup, I know and I share your frustration. Maybe someday we will have full manual control in the sub $1000 range, but not for the foreseeable future. I am not married to the Canon brand either, (although I prefer them). I have both Canon and Panasonic. I just haven't seen anything from any brand that meets that need just yet.
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #10
Trustee

New Sony HC1's occasionally show up on EBay for under $1000, and have full manual operation.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 02:19 AM   #11
Trustee

If you want tape, Sony's FX7 or the V1u are good options.

For memory card based, the Panasonic T300 and the Canon HF S10 seams like good options.
If you can afford it, JVC’s HM100 is exactly what your looking for.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #12
Trustee

Panasonic TM300
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition