noob question: HD on standard DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old April 11th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

noob question: HD on standard DVD

If I have a standard DVD, and I record in 720P, without shrinking the resolution or reducing quality how many minutes can I record onto a standard DVD?

I'm seriously considering getting a HMC150 and since it only records in HD, I want to know how many minutes I can fit onto standard DVD...or a dual layer DVD.

I'm going to be recording lots of action/motion events and nearly all of the client(s) don't have BluRay.
Martin Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Wiosna View Post
If I have a standard DVD, and I record in 720P, without shrinking the resolution or reducing quality how many minutes can I record onto a standard DVD?
Without shrinking resolution or reducing quality? None.

Now, if you're talking about placing video files onto a DATA DVD OR authoring an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray compliant video stream to be played back on an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player onto a standard DVD, you're still going to compress the images. And your clients will require an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player.

If I understand your question correctly, you want to display HD material, recorded to a DVD, playable on a DVD player. This can't be done.
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

what about if they use an upconvert DVD player and their TV say supports 720p?
Martin Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You still lose resolution, it won't be true HD.

What you're thinking of is AVCHD. But that can't be played using standard DVD players, only Blu-ray players, And it's 1080i only.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
An upconverting DVD player plays SD DVDs but does the scaling to HD at the DVD player rather than the TV looking after the scaling. USUALLY this is to accommodate HDMI connectivity to the TV or HDMI switching through an HDMI compatible video switching receiver. This may or may not provide better SD to HD scaling than the TV is capable of, depending on the quality of the converters both in the DVD player and the TV.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition