Recording Google |Earth Screen as a video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old April 12th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording Google |Earth Screen as a video

I would like to capture in a video file the screen of my PC showing Google Earth movving from one region to another and put it in a video montage of my vacation trip. Unfortumately my new camera (the Sony PMW-EX1) does not allow to record from a PC using the PC video OUT connection, like it was the case with the Sony VX-2000 camera.
There must be a wide range of software or shareware which can capture PC screens in a video, but I am not sure which one is the best. Can someone advise?
Francois Dormoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Trustee

Google has the software - and it costs!

your other alternative is to do frame grabs of the image and put it together yourself - time intensive

There may be a 3rd party utility that does screen capture - you'd have to search
Old April 12th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Major Player

There is a third party software called FRAPS that you can use to capture anything that is on your screen. It can record picture, videos etc. The videos are saved in some sort of wavelet codec. The results (as I remember them) are pretty good. The software's main purpose I believe is for gaming...saving videos from your games.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

There are many many screen capture programs out there.

I did a quick google for one, came up with Jing | Add visuals to your online conversations
It is free for both mac and pc. I just tested it out. Record .swf files. Can easily be converted to .mp4 or what not.
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Major Player

I am working on a Documentary and would like to use Google Earth, I can just capture it from my camera, but how can I use it legally from Google ?
Has anyone done this before ? I see it on the news all the time with the Google Earth logo on the side.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Ouellette View Post
There are many many screen capture programs out there.
Yes I know, and I cant test them all. I ma sure there many craps and low quality softwares
This is why I am asking for advice from people.
Francois Dormoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh View Post
I am working on a Documentary and would like to use Google Earth, I can just capture it from my camera, but how can I use it legally from Google ?
Has anyone done this before ? I see it on the news all the time with the Google Earth logo on the side.
I use Google Earth Pro, $400 for 1 year. To use Google Earth footage legally, you will have to purchase GE Pro, make a demo of its intended use and submit it to Google (don't have link, you'll have to search), then wait forever (2 months for me), then once/if you're approved you can use the footage you record with GE Pro.

Any copyright information must stay visible in the final production.
One more thing, the movie recording feature of GE Pro is extremely flaky, it's possible to create some really nice aerials in HD though.

Bit of a PITA, but they don't really have any competition so they can get away with it.

You can see samples of GE Pro in action at the website in my signature.
Luke Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #8
Major Player

Luke, The google earth looks good in your video, I noticed a little jerkiness when zooming in or out on GE.
So you get the GE Pro (good for one year) and you get all of your footage you want and submitting them to Google (not my final edit just the GE footage) for approval and wait !
What did you use to capture the video file ?
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #9
Regular Crew

The jerkiness is the web compression, I have to troubleshoot that, my masters are completely smooth.

Google Earth Pro has a movie recording feature built in. You can record in virtually whatever codec you want (HD uncompressed, Pro Rez HQ, DVCPro HD etc.). For best results I record a jpeg image sequence and then compress that into a Pro Rez quicktime for Final Cut.

The submission process is just a one-time deal. They just send you an email stating it's ok to use GE Pro footage for your project, at least that's my experience.

Once again, the program is expensive,very flaky and very frustrating to get what you want, but it's still pretty cool.
Luke Tingle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition