Canon GL2 Import at HD resolution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:20 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon GL2 Import at HD resolution

Hi all,

Been filming all week with my friends Canon GL2 its been in 16:9 and now i want to import the video from the DV tapes to my computer in a high resolution like 1280x720 but all it will give me is 720x480 in every program i try.

Why cant i import my video and edit it with a proper HD resolution like 1280x720. I dont want to have to up scale the reslution from the 720x480 when i publich the clip because it will just be low quality thats been stretched to a larger resolution.

I even tried window movie maker just to see if it would import in HD but all it gives me is the low resolution no high quality res.

Thanks any help please because i have no idea what to do.
Luke Huxham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #2
Trustee

DV footage, like the stuff from the GL2 has a resolution of 720x480 pixels. If you want to go to 1280x720 you'll need to do some scaling somewhere, your options are: convert to a HQ codec like ProRes AFTER importing, or scale the project at the end after editing.

You're going to need to import the DV as Standard Definition at least initially, then you can think about up-rezzing.
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #3
Major Player

You can't import in High Definition because the Canon GL2 is not a High Definition camera.
It is strictly a Standard Definition camera, which in the NTSC scheme of things means 720 x 480.
The fact that the camera has an anamorphic widescreen (16x9) mode does not change that.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Huxham View Post
Why cant i import my video and edit it with a proper HD resolution like 1280x720. I dont want to have to up scale the reslution from the 720x480 ...
Unfortunately your only option is to capture / import at 720 x 480 and then upconvert to 1280. The GL2 is a standard definition (720 x 480) camcorder, no matter which aspect ratio you're shooting in. Whether it's 4:3 or 16:9, standard definition is all it can ever be unless you upconvert it to high definition in post. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
you'll need to do some scaling somewhere, your options are: convert to a HQ codec like ProRes AFTER importing, or scale the project at the end after editing.
Nate and the others are correct. And I would recommend you save yourself some drive space and wait to do the upres of your footage at or towards the end.

I, too, have been contemplating how to keep my GL2 relevant/useful in an HD world...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition