What is accepted at 'HD' for broadcast at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 19th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #1
New Boot

What is accepted at 'HD' for broadcast

I have heard HDV footage (from the likes of my Canon XLH1) is not accepted as real HD at large broadcasters/distributors and they only accept perhaps up to 10% of the entire show in HDV.

I'm going to be shooting a Documentary series later in the year and the producer is looking to hopefully distribute to the likes of BBC or Discover and wonder if anyone out there who maybe works, or has worked for a company such as those expand more on this? Specifically, I'm thinking maybe shooting on the Sony EX3 and would that be accepeted as 'real HD'?

I'm sure its pretty much a 'depends-on-a-number-of-various-things' type question. But any light shed on the matter would be appreciated.

Cheers, Kirk

Freelance DP/Editor

Kirk Pflaum
www.spooce.co.nz
Kirk Pflaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Here are the BBC's HD commissioning requirements. BBC - Commissioning - Producing High-Definition TV

They tend to mostly commission programmes (often as co-productions) rather than buy in, which they sometimes do if you've got unique content or an extremely strong story. These buy ins tend to be high end American productions or award winning programmes. There are other UK channels, but I'd tend to get them involved at the early stages and get a commission rather than try to sell them a completed series.

HDV is acceptable for the BBC's and the other UK broadcasters SD channels - which is currently the main market. I suspect if you've got programmes that have action material like "Deadliest Catch" or unique access they may be more forgiving on their HD programmes purchases or commission requirements. I know they do check on the camera gear being used on the HD commissioned programmes.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Brian,

Many thanks, that webpage was exactly what I was after. As for selling what we make to BBC or whoever, that's what I was thinking happens (NZ is very similar) but probably up to my director and producer to sort out. I'm just the DP, but its a good point to make which I will bring up with them and make sure we're all on the same page.
Kirk Pflaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition