PAL and NTSC - HELP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 4th, 2009, 01:41 AM   #1
New Boot

PAL and NTSC - HELP

Hi. I just ordered a Sony fx1000 through a company in Port Elizabeth SA, which they ordered from the USA. They did not realise that cams come in PAL and NTSC format. I see with Pinnacle Studio 12 I can capture the info at 25 fps. Will there be a problem with this ? I have not done any other tests yet, but dont want to use the camera too much if I am to send it back for a replacement.

Will someone in the know let me know your opinion please.

Last edited by Greg Walsh; June 4th, 2009 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Oops spelling!
Greg Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Walsh View Post
Hi. I just ordered a Sony fx1000 through a company in Port Elizabeth SA, which they ordered from the USA. They did not realise that cams come in PAL and NTSC format. I see with Pinnacle Studio 12 I can capture the info at 25 fps. Will there be a problem with this ? I have not done any other tests yet, but dont want to use the camera too much if I am to send it back for a replacement.

Will someone in the know let me know your opinion please.
If you can replace it easily, then I think you should. Life is easier all round if you use a PAL camera in a PAL country. It is technically possible to use NTSC, either because your output will never be shown on a PAL television (e.g. you shoot only for the web), or because you can actually convert from NTSC to PAL during editing. But the conversion process can cause serious loss of quality.

Other people may have more information
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #3
New Boot

Loss of Quality??

Thanks Gordon. Sony also said there could be a loss of quality, which I DONT want. I do wedding and functions DVD's and want to offer the best quality. My stuff almost all goes onto dvd.
Greg Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Walsh View Post
Thanks Gordon. Sony also said there could be a loss of quality, which I DONT want. I do wedding and functions DVD's and want to offer the best quality. My stuff almost all goes onto dvd.
If that's what you do, you definitely need the format that works locally. Apart from the quality issues, any conversion takes time, which you don't want to waste
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Greg,

A decent Standard Converter with Motion Compensation would cost more than the camera and software conversion is not that good in most cases it just drops frames and you finish up with a video that staggers along like a three legged horse.

Bryan
Bryan Sellars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Do you know whether you are actually getting a NTSC version? Some stores in the US also sell PAL versions, I think for international buyers. I agree with the other comments that it will be a hassle and waste of time for you to do conversions. You better get the PAL version if that is the video format in your area.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #7
New Boot

Live and Learn...

I decided to give the camera back as i was not going to struggle with an excellent camera that i just paid R40000 for. The quality dropped horribly when converting from NTSC to PAL and i was getting better quality from my FX7's. Also rendering was taking twice as long because the clips had to be rendered into PAL first.

The company I bought the camera from sent it back to the USA and are replacing it with a PAL at their expense. I have a wedding next weekend where i was hoping to use my new camera, so i can only hope and pray that it arrives in time.

Thanks for all your comments.
Greg Walsh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition