Any mid-level HD cam in development? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 8th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Any mid-level HD cam in development?

Just wondering if anyone has an inside scoop on whether Sony plans to release a DSR-500/570 type camera that records HDV? It seems now that they have the low end HDV and also the high end HDCAM's it might be logical for them to release a mid-level camera with HD capabilities. Personally, I'd be mighty tempted by a HD/DVCAM switchable camera with a PL mount in the $20,000 range... Am I dreaming?

Thanks for any info...

K
Kipjaz Savoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:36 AM   #2

I don't think anyone "in the know" can comment on what Sony may or may not be doing, but JVC has announced a higher end HDV cam. I'm sure NAB will hold some interesting information.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

Exactly -- Sony's not talking, as is Panasonic or anyone else except JVC. JVC's announced a 2/3", 3-CCD, shoulder-mount, interchangeable-lens HDV-format camcorder that will actually do 1080/24p. Estimated price was $20,000 but it's been nearly a year since they announced it.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Good grief Barry, that's still $20,000 to think about! I mean, I can barely afford one of the prosumer cameras let alone a $20,000 camera that will still have shoddy software support right out of the box. I'm hoping Panasonic does something at least in the $6,000 and below range with HD+24p capabilities (even if the 24p mode is only SD). Also, someone needs to stand up to Sony and go with progressive imaging instead of interlaced.

BTW, though this is a little off subject, Barry, are there any good video equipment stores in Vegas? The only place I've been recommended is Fry's and all they have is the FX1, Sony VX2100, JVC-HD1, and Canon GL2. I'm looking more for XL2, DVX, and Z1 kind of suppliers. Am I out of luck and have to stick to the internet for my video needs?
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:57 PM   #5

<<<I can barely afford one of the prosumer cameras let alone a $20,000 camera that will still have shoddy software support right out of the box. >>>

Jack, where is that coming from? Just because Apple is slow to get things going in FCP? FCPE handles 1080i great, Vegas is great, Premiere is simply awesome, Liquid Edition is decent, and while Avid doesn't have direct HDV support yet, they do have HD support, so there is an awful lot of HDV support out there.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #6
Major Player

<<<-- Jack, where is that coming from? Just because Apple is slow to get things going in FCP? FCPE handles 1080i great, Vegas is great, Premiere is simply awesome, Liquid Edition is decent, and while Avid doesn't have direct HDV support yet, they do have HD support, so there is an awful lot of HDV support out there. -->>>

Oh, sorry, I didn't make myself entirely clear. I just meant that not everything works as simply with HDV as regular HD and DV. From what I hear, there's quite a few issues that still need to get worked out (such as the whole compressed audio issue). Not that HDV can't be edited with good results, but it just doesn't seem to be working out as smoothly as expected yet. Sorry for the confusion, my bad and even more so if I'm incorrect in my view! ^_^
Old February 8th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

OK well thanks for the info. I thought maybe word had leaked and I'd missed it somehow. Sure is a nice thought though isn't it? Of course, unless such a cam is crippled somehow, it would likely cannibalize Sony's high end sales... which I'm sure is something Sony has considered!

K
Kipjaz Savoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Sony mid HD is ofcourse going to be XDCAM-HD. Atleast mid of HDV-> XDCAM-HD -> HDCAM. I doubt they want to make any more bigDVCAM sized cassette camcorders with HDV, when they can make them all XDCAM-HD. Propably with 50 Mb/s, just like MPEG IMX format they already record with those XDCAMs (If I remember correctly...)

http://pro.sony.com.hk/xdcam_faq3.html

Scroll down to middle of page for pictures:
http://www.geocities.com/mammacow3/
Joonas Kiviharju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:05 PM   #9
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Felis : that's still $20,000 to think about! I mean, I can barely afford one of the prosumer cameras let alone a $20,000 camera
That's one way to look at it, yes. The other way is to look at the Panasonic SDX900: it's about $27,000 for a 2/3", 3-CCD, shoulder-mount, interchangeable-lens DV50 standard-def camera. If you could get a comparable camera but add high-def imaging and SAVE $7000... well, sure seems there might be a market for it!

(this is not to say that the JVC will be better than, or even in the same room as, the SDX900, as obviously nobody's seen it yet! But if it is, it would appear to be priced very competitively).

Quote:
I'm hoping Panasonic does something at least in the $6,000 and below range with HD+24p capabilities (even if the 24p mode is only SD). Also, someone needs to stand up to Sony and go with progressive imaging instead of interlaced.
They have announced their intention to do exactly that. They have announced they will be introducing a DVCPRO-HD camera, priced "competitive with the Z1", which will use P2 solid-state memory-card recording. They haven't announced whether it'll be 24p, but it would be exceptionally surprising if it wasn't.

Quote:
Barry, are there any good video equipment stores in Vegas?
Nope. For renting, yes, VERrents.com has an outlet here. But for buying? About the best you can do is Fry's or the SonyStyle store in the Forum shops. No place you can see an XL2 or a DVX. We used to have a Markertek.com store, but they closed down the over-the-counter retail outlet.
Quote:
Am I out of luck and have to stick to the internet for my video needs?
Yep. Gotta go to EVS in Santa Monica if you actually want to see the goods (or Samy's or Abel Cine, etc...) No place in town that I know of.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:15 AM   #10
Major Player

Darn! You would think Las Vegas would have SOMETHING! Oh well, thanks for the info anyway Barry. =)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition