Can someone tell me the difference? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old September 14th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can someone tell me the difference?

Can someone here tell me the difference between these two cards.. besides the price, of course. I will be using this in a Sanyo Xacti. I've already owned the Kingston card, but it was just damaged in the mail. I'm not excited to pay the full $80 again, if I don't have to.

Amazon.com: Kingston 32 GB SDHC Class 4 Flash Memory Card SD4/32GB: Electronics

New 32GB SD SDHC Memory Card Secure Digital Flash 32 GB - eBay (item 220480762324 end time Sep-21-09 07:18:27 PDT)

Thanks!
Ryan Laytart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Uh ...The one from Amazon is an SCHC card from a well recognized and respected manufacturer, sold by a well established retailer ...lord knows what the one being hawked by on eBay, from Hong Kong no less, actually is.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

That's pretty much the way I felt, but I've got someone insisting that it isn't a big deal. How different can a little memory chip really be?
Ryan Laytart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Laytart View Post
How different can a little memory chip really be?
VERY different. The Industry Guys on here that manufacture and sell external solid state media recorders are always testing the performance of various SD cards and MANY of them fail to meet read/write criteria. Buy a brand name and a tested and verified model of the brand name at that for video recording. I use lesser brands for emergency cards for my dSLR but that's for my PERSONAL (non-professional) use.
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The stuff from HK is mostly knock-off crap... 'nuf said. It probably won't work, will lose data, and won't store the amount of data it advertises... if it "works" at all...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Tourist

Look at the Class saying a lot

SDHC cards are defined by one of more “classes” that allow the user to best understand performance capabilities. The class rating of SDHC cards specifies a minimum sustained write speed.

SDHC Class 2: 2MB/sec
SDHC Class 4: 4MB/sec
SDHC Class 6: 6MB/sec
and upwards

Like the SDHC logo, the speed class can be identified by an icon appearing on the card and the card packaging.
Henning Andresen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Regardless of official logos and formal specifications for the classes of SDHC cards, what is printed on the outside of a card shipping from Hong Kong, from an unknown supplier, isn't something to put much (if any) faith in - it's a little like buying a "Rolex" from a poorly groomed gent, sporting a well worn trench coat, standing on a street in a shady part of town, with dozens of watches up his sleeve.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Well put. I actually ended up replacing the damaged Kingston with yet another Kingston. Pricey, but worth it. Thanks for the replies!
Ryan Laytart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition