HDV not good enough? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old April 27th, 2005, 04:59 AM   #1
Major Player

HDV not good enough?

I recently read that some television channels that specialize in HD programming won't accept HDV programs because it's not up to par with "real" HD. Has anyone else heard of this practice?

bob
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 06:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Didn't the same thing happen with DV? And people just ended up dubbing their final projects to beta/digibeta...

Sure HDV has it's problems, but I say if you give them the project on what they would call an "acceptable" format/tape, and they broadcast it... well, I guess it was good enough then...
Old April 27th, 2005, 06:28 AM   #3

I keep hearing this as a rumor, but have yet to see an article by anyone, or any specific "this happened to me" situation. I DO know that the Discovery Channel and a couple of other high profile HD broadcasters HAVE taken HDV as a source. Frankly, as long as it's treated right and delivered on HDCam, I'd find it hard for anyone to tell the difference.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 06:50 AM   #4
Major Player

"I keep hearing this as a rumor, but have yet to see an article by anyone, or any specific "this happened to me" situation. I DO know that the Discovery Channel and a couple of other high profile HD broadcasters HAVE taken HDV as a source. Frankly, as long as it's treated right and delivered on HDCam, I'd find it hard for anyone to tell the difference."

I have a feeling that this idea began with someone who probably tried to give a station an HDV tape. Douglas is right though, if delivered on HDCam you shouldn't have any problems.

As mentioned above, the same could be said of DV. None of the stations in my market will take DV masters, but as long as I deliver everything on BetaSP I don't have any problems.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #5
Major Player

I love this website! :)
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:28 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Not Good Enough

I recently talked with HDNet about taking a project that I am working on shot with my Z-1. They told me "We have looked at that camera but it won't work" I was flabbergasted. Their reasoning is that the mpeg compression doesn't work well with their broadcast. I am finishing the 5.1 surround mix on my project this week and they told me to bring it by when I'm done. They are clear that they only want to see projects on DVC Pro. So you all know in advance, I am going to output to a DVC Pro deck and let them look at it. I won't mention the Z-1 again. I'll let you all know the results next week!

Jeff
Jeff Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #7
Trustee

My company has also had the same problem with HDnet as they have very strict policies regarding what they will take and what they won't. I had also heard that they wouldn't even accept the dvcprohd format but that was years ago and I'm sure that's changed by now.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Jeff, how'd it go with HDNet?
Patrick Swinnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Man Patrick, I'm having a helluva time getting them to set an appointment. I'm hoping for this Friday! I'll let you know.
Jeff Mack is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition