Best Way To Show HDV Content To Clients at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 1st, 2005, 10:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Way To Show HDV Content To Clients

We are starting to develop clients that are interested in HD content. Other than hauling a G5 and Cinema display around or purchasing the Sony HDV deck has anyone found effective methods of doing client presentations on site.

Thanks,

Richard
2K-Plus
Atlanta
Richard Lubash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 11:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Compress to Quicktime H.264 and show it on a 17" Powerbook Widescreen
John McGinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 12:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi John,

That thought crossed my mind but at this moment I am compressing 44 seconds of HDV 1080i edited in FCP5 on a 2x 2.5GHhz G5 and the render time is 2 hours and 6 minutes. Also I read that a G5 is needed to play back H.264 but I'll test that out in another hour or so.

Thanks,

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGinley
Compress to Quicktime H.264 and show it on a 17" Powerbook Widescreen
Richard Lubash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #4
Regular Crew

High definition H.264 will not play smoothly on any PowerBook, even a fully loaded top of the line 17". If you disagree, hit cmd-I and notice the framerate the next time you play an H.264 HD movie trailer off apple.com.

Smooth PowerBook (and iBook for that matter) high definition playback can be had with DVCProHD. Of course the files will be much bigger, but carrying a laptop plus external FW hard drive is much easier than lugging around a dual processor Power Mac G5.

DVCProHD's compromised resolution (1280x1080 and 960x720 compared to HDV's 1440x1080 and 1280x720) can be overcome by being creative in FCP and QT Pro by special (bastardized / 'out of spec') export settings.
Murad Toor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #5
New Boot

Tried compression master 3.1?

They just updated their software to include H.263 compression. I haven't experimented with it yet, but maybe you could find the right balance of compression/frame rate that will play well on your powerbook.

www.popwire.com (I think they have a free try out)
Chris Hink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hink
They just updated their software to include H.263 compression. I haven't experimented with it yet, but maybe you could find the right balance of compression/frame rate that will play well on your powerbook.

www.popwire.com (I think they have a free try out)
Balancing compression and frame rate would most likely give you results closer to a web-delivered video, which may go against Richard Lubash's objective of showing off the advantages of HD.

High definition H.264 playback requires a dual-processor G5 for full framerate (not jerky, not stuttery but rather perfectly smooth) playback. The advantage of H.264 is small file sizes. The disadvantage of H.264 is that encoding and decoding it requires a lot of processing power.

For smooth high definition video playback on a PowerBook, you're much better off playing a ~19-30 Mb/s MPEG-2 transport stream using VLC or a DVCProHD file using QuickTime Player.
Murad Toor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition