When will we see HDV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 20th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #1
Major Player

When will we see HDV?

I was at the Indy Apple store and show some HDV video (a skater video) on some new mac computers. It was very good video. The guy told me it was shot with the Z1. Someone else said it was the other Sony. F1? But it was shot at 1080i 30.

So how long before we see more HDV video? Indie movies, docs, etc. Is there a list of stuff shot with the Z1?

Some people have been trashing HDV and maybe it's not the best, but the video I saw was really good.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
So how long before we see more HDV video? Indie movies, docs, etc. Is there a list of stuff shot with the Z1?
With so many thousands Z1's bought by pros, you're seeing it right now, except normally no one knows it's Z1. Network or station, or client wants HDCAM or D5 tape. The producer will not tell them it was shot with some 4,000 euro camera that records on DV tape.

Don't believe quality is not top notch. If they can fool network believing it was shot with HDCAM, it means quality is superb.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Maybe so,,,but there must be someone claiming there are using a Z1?
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Would not be claiming on some high end stuff, have to protect their reputation as 1/2 million dollar HD gear guys.

Radek
Old June 20th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek Svoboda
Would not be claiming on some high end stuff, have to protect their reputation as 1/2 million dollar HD gear guys.

Radek

I hope this isn't the case here in America. I can see what your saying, but what happens if they find out someone lied about the camera? What does that do to a reputation? I'd say tell them up front,,,if they don't like it, let then pay for the 1/2 million dollar HD gear guy!!
Old June 20th, 2005, 04:47 PM   #6
Major Player

They may tell client but they will not advertise in the trade they work with 4000 euro cameras, unless they want impress someone what they can do with such cheap camera. This is just opinion. I'm sure Z1 getting used in HD ENG plenty.

Once someone makes successful film with it, we'll hear it. Camera came out in February. Movies take lot of time. If someone start shooting something now, by next Sundance we could know about it.

Radek
Old June 20th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #7
Major Player

Maybe someone can say something! Anyone?
Old June 20th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #8
Major Player

I found some Z1 video Douglas Spotted Eagle has post on another thread.
Old June 20th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #9
Major Player

it doesn't work!! I download it and when I click on it FCX opens but no video file I can find,,,
Old June 20th, 2005, 05:07 PM   #10
Major Player

Known fillmakers will not use this camera for film. No one writes about unknown ones. DSE said Z1 camera was pushed to Latin America as filmmaking tool. Sony presentations were in movie theaters, shot with Z1, transfered to film. He saw in Mexico City. He said quality was amazing. They must used top DP.

I know only one Czech film shot with HDCAM. No one would consider HDV here for film.

Radek
Old June 20th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #11
Major Player

I would like to see what it looks like.
Old June 20th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #12
Major Player

I don't think the issue is Z1 only - the most important question is: can the HDV format compete with highend HD cameras or even film? Will people notice the difference?

You could be using the best camera in the universe, but if you're using HDV as media, you will always have to comply with its limitations and deficiencies. It's MPEG-2 video after all...
Old June 20th, 2005, 07:42 PM   #13
Major Player

I don't think the people making HDV plan for it to compete with high end HD. But I don't think HDV is worthless.
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:27 PM   #14
Major Player

I didn't say it was worthless, after all I'm a proud owner of an HD1.

This doesn't look too shabby to me...

http://www.geocities.com/headlesspuppy/stuff/hdv2.jpg
Old June 21st, 2005, 06:37 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zimmerman
I would like to see what it looks like.
The file you are attempting to look at is the actual *.m2t file captured from the camera.

You are going to need a player capable of playing back HD, on a fast enough machine to handle the 25Mbit data rate. The best and most workable player for Mac and PC is VLC.

VLC is free. Google for it.

If you're on PC you can also try changing the m2t file extension to mpg, and the file should play in the newest versions of WinDVD (Intervideo) or PowerDVD (Cyberlink).

Oh, and don't forget your screen resolution must be greater than 1920 horizontal and 1080 vertical to see what HDV really looks like on a computer screen. If you have your screen set to 1024x768 or 800x600 you just won't see what HD is capable of....
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition