Why is Sony flooding market with quality low cost HD? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 24th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #16
suspended -- contact admin

Actually in countries that refuse to broadcast in high definition the Internet will be the source of high definition television programming. Nothing holds back the internet and computer technology and everyone in europe can get a taste of high definition even today at www.hd-channel.com
Tommy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I hope the CCTV (China Central Television) Experimental HD channel (which actually is a loop of some HD footage shot with a HDW750) becomes a mainstream HD channel for china. For example, It could broadcast the 2006 CCTV chinese new year festival in HD! Or better, the nightly chinese news in HD! There is real potential for this channel!
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 08:39 PM   #18
Major Player

Is the China broadcast MPEG2 1080i?

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 12:24 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Not sure, do a google search.

below is the schedule for the experimental HD channel (in chinese):

http://info.broadcast.hc360.com/images/js/05011301.jpg

I want someone to translate this for people who can't read chinese, I don't know how to write chinese myself!
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #20
Major Player

The Sony model #750 shoots 1080i, U.S. version, and European version ads 1080p25. I'm assuming Chinese will broadcast 1080i.

Radek
Old June 26th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #21
Major Player

Hmm, maybe i might be watching another channel, but how come i can recieve CCTV here in england (in SD not HD)? (via satelite)
Anhar Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hey Radek,

I am pleased to hear they shoot news in DigiB in the Czech Republic, now that's class.
John Poore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Poore
Hey Radek,

I am pleased to hear they shoot news in DigiB in the Czech Republic, now that's class.
Hey John,

You know what, Czechs have highest definiton PAL there is. U.S. NTSC is 3.58 Mhz, Japanese, I think, 4.3, British PAL 4.5 Mhz, German PAL 5.5 MHz, Czech PAL is 6.5 MHz, Germans have 576 vertical lines, I believe, Czechs have 625 visible vertical lines, higher horizontal resolution than Germans too.

Everyone thinks all PAL is same. Is not.

As HDTV production here, there is only one network using HDCAMs, besides that there are only 5 HDCAMs in whole country, everything is Digibeta, now also 50 Mbps MPEG2 XDCAM. My friend will working on some British production here, they require 7 HDCAMs. In case like this they have to bring cameras to the country. Plenty film and SD cameras, little HD.

The country only has 10 milion people.

Radek

Last edited by Radek Svoboda; June 29th, 2005 at 09:36 AM.
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #24
Inner Circle

>>The country only has 10 milion people. <<

And from what I've seen, a lot of them are really good looking women.:)
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #25
Major Player

Radek,

US and Japan are the same. 3.58 MHz is the frequency of chroma subcarrier (actually 3.579545 MHz). 4.3 MHz is the maximum bandwidth for video being broadcast, leaving some room for FM audio carrier in the 6 MHz. channel. Laser disk and S-VHS are a little wider than that. All that will soon become history. PAL is not my thing, so I'll leave that to you. I was not aware that there were so many variations. As far as I know NTSC is all the same.
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:11 PM   #26
Major Player

David,

Sorry, I have couple multisystem TV's. I just checked 17 system Panasonic. NTSC is either 3.58 or 4.43. For PAL and SECAM can select 4.5, 5.5., 6, and 6.5. Czech stations work on 6.5, German on 5.5. I think 4.43 is for NTSC tapes for Europe, so they don't have to convert 30 frames to 25, larger bandwidth is because TV equipment here has it available.

I don't know about US, but all except cheap sets here are 100 Hz. They digitally upconvert to double vertical frequency and gives picture pseudo progressive look.

Normally you get 625i50, 100 Hz actually looks very nice, gets rid of vertical lines.

There's plenty HDTV sets here but are expensive and people just use them for regular TV, DVD.

Radek

Last edited by Radek Svoboda; July 1st, 2005 at 03:39 AM.
Old July 1st, 2005, 01:35 AM   #27
Trustee

Personally it doesn't seem to me that it's a war between 1080i and 720p (or pani and sony) both the upcoming varicam and the upcoming Cinealta will be able to cover both of those formats (though it might just be the vericam that can do it all in camera) Ideally it will all be moving to 24p (or 25p depending on which side of the atlantic you live on) and we can all do away the 29.97 and 23.98 nonsence but until those days come I think the multi format's will stick around.

P.S. Joe it sounds like we're visiting the same web sites...
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 05:58 AM   #28
RED Code Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere
Rob,

Although I personally am only interested in making fictional work, I still believe interlaced should keep existing. Because then there is a difference between the video look and the film look. What if everything in the news has a kind of film look? (And I know that there is more to filmlook then 24p).

I like the fact that we, as filmmakers can make an illusion with the choice of going to 24p (of 25p) that looks different then the 'reality' video thing.
Because it's fictional work. I like the idea of choosing to go into that 'fictional reality' and that you on the other side have the video look, that's great for reality programs and the news and stuff.
But that's only my opinion offcourse.
That is a "problem" at the moment indeed. However, there are so much
problems coming from that whole interlaced system that I feel it would be
worth the cost to just switch over.

I mean, they can still light a newsroom the same way and it will look different
than a carefully lite and orchestrated movie. This will mean we need to work
even harder for our audience, which can only be a good thing.

We'll see what happens within the next 10 years! :)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 05:19 AM   #29
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
I still believe interlaced should keep existing. Because then there is a difference between the video look and the film look. What if everything in the news has a kind of film look? (And I know that there is more to filmlook then 24p).
You don't need interlaced to get that look. You can get that look (and in fact an even more "reality" look) from 720/60p. It doesn't have to be interlaced to look "live", it just has to have the fast refresh rate.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition