DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   wireless mic ECM-HW2 sony XR520ve (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/472444-wireless-mic-ecm-hw2-sony-xr520ve.html)

Russell Bailey February 8th, 2010 12:47 AM

wireless mic ECM-HW2 sony XR520ve

Hi, I just purchased a blue tooth wireless mic for my Sony XR520ve.

Unfortunately i can't test it right now as i had to put the cam in for repairs as it keeps turning on/off by itself for some reason.

Anyhow i was reading the instructions and it says way down teh bottom that there "may" be digital voice delay between what the ic picks up on and what is recorded.

Does this mean all my video will look like those Chinese films where you see the lips move then the voice comes on? I hope not as it cost my AUD$345.00

Any one had experience with tis setup yet?

thanks
russ

Dave Blackhurst February 8th, 2010 02:40 AM

Hi Russ -

Not exactly... keep in mind that there can be significant distance between the mic and the camera, which could introduce some delay/time shift. FWIW, you're talking miliseconds, or the equivalent of a little echo, not typically noticeable. If you've ever used the HW1, the HW2 is better overall to my ears.

Russell Bailey February 8th, 2010 03:10 AM

Hi Dave, thanks for the info. This will be the first time i have ever used a wireless Mic so i haven't tried the previous model. I did note that this one is capable of being 100 meters away from the cam so i suspect this might introduce some delay.

good to know where only talking milliseconds :)

thanks
russ

Jason Goldberg February 14th, 2010 12:00 PM

Russel, I have one that I've been using with my HC-11. It worked very well. I typically only used it in the 6' - 20' range but never had any audio sync issues.

I know real audio guys look down on these things, but frankly I think it's one of the easiest ways possible to improve consumer video. Audio is SUCH an important part of good video, and on-camera Mics are so poor, that anything that moves audio acquisition off the camera is a great improvement.

I think you'll enjoy it!

Russell Bailey February 14th, 2010 06:16 PM

Thanks Jason, i don't think i will be going any further than about 5m from camera either. Its just that i have a project i am attempting to carry out so i need to learn to be "in front" of camera and talking. The only way i could see me doing this easily is with wireless mic technology.

Hopefully i can show my first vid using the mic soon. I am still waiting form my video cam to come back from warranty repair.

I can't believe how much this video device has become so much apart of me!, i keep reaching for the camera when i go out and its not there! lol :)

The guy at sony central asked me if i can be with out it for 2 weeks. I said i had nothing planned so it should be fine. How little did i realize i plan NOTHING when i video but use it all the time continually lol.

russ