Is there such a Video Camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:16 PM   #1
New Boot

Is there such a Video Camera?

I own an Canon HV20 and love the color and size. I use my HV20 with the 1.7x doubler, but it wieghs as much as the rest of the camera and makes it tough to shoot wiht in a run and gun style.

I really want that 20x lens with prosumer controls and the camera body style of a Canon GL2 that shoots in high def. I think would prefer 3 CCD but 1or 3 CMOS chips might suffice. I don't know if I care about tape or disk.

DOes this camera exist? THe XHA1 is so much bigger and has many controls than I need. Any thoughts, does this camera exist or is it the next middle tier product offering?

Kirt

PS: if this is the wrong forum to post, don't flame me too bad, I did search but wasn't quite sure.
Kirt Schumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Kirt, no worries as this site is enforced as a flame-free zone.

The XH A1 has what you want if you don't mind a tape-based camcorder. For tapeless HD with full manual controls, consider the Sony HXR-NX5 or its close twin the Sony HDR-AX2000, or you can wait until NAB when Canon will most likely announce their tapeless replacement of the XH series. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:28 PM   #3
New Boot

Chris,

Thanks for the response:

I film wildlife and need bring the camera on lots of outdoor adventures. I looked at the XHA1 but it is so much bigger than the light small GL2 (with that wonderful 20x zoom). I would hate to carry an XHA1 all morning humping it up a mountain, or have it in my backpack for thee or four days. Ugghh!

I keep my fingers crossed and keep looking.

Kirt
Kirt Schumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:16 PM   #4
Trustee

It's getting a bit outdated now, but the Sony FX7 would fit the bill nicely. I've travelled with it alot and it's never let me down.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have a GL2 and love it...I know what you mean about the 20X zoom.

Have you looked at the Panasonic AG- HMC40? It's AVCHD with a 12X (also has digital zoom) and a form factor like you are looking for.
Tom Dickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I'll second the recommendation for the FX7. Small, reasonably cheap and the longest tele out there. In my mind, the best value HDV tape cam available.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition