Laptop for Simple HD Video Editing - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 21st, 2010, 10:15 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gallo View Post
would you suggest vegas pro, or could i get by with vegas movie studio?
Vegas Pro runs like a dream and is easy to learn and use. Why not try the demo first and see if you like it?
Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:28 AM   #17
New Boot

I would, but I there's no way I'm spending $500 to get the real version. Just can't afford it.
William Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 03:51 AM   #18
Regular Crew

A updated program that handles AVCHD well is Corel Video Studio Pro X3, you can down load a fully working demo from Corel.

With this program it's very simple to set the Smart Proxy files to any resolution that your processor is comfortable with, for any one not used to working with proxy files the program does a copy of the high definition video, the low resolution copies are then used for editing, this is all done in the background with very little disruption to the editing process, it then switches automatically back to the original high definition files to do the final render, so even fairly slow computers are able to edit AVCHD video.
Bryan Sellars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gallo View Post
this looks great. thanks!

i'm gonna do a trial of voltaicHD.

EDIT: And now I just tried to convert my first h.264 MOV file from my Kodak Zi8, and it gives me an error message:

Error: Unable to parse input file *.359.mov* Please make sure the file is a valid video file.

Error details: Caught exception: no video data found

I checked the supported file types, and voltaichd says it converts zi8 files. Hmm.
The Zi8 really is very hard to find good conversion tools for. Something like the Canon 7D or 5D MK II imports very nicely into many video editors, but not the Zi8. I found Zi8 footage and tried to import into Vegas. The result: Very slow preview with no audio, and this was with Vegas' Quicktime plugin.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I still think neoscene is your cheapest and hassle free option..
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #21
New Boot

Guys, I think you may be right.

Neoscene plus Windows Live Movie Maker might be the cheapest option here. But I'm also gonna try Neoscene plus some of the other budget video editing options, as well.

Thanks for the input everyone.
William Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
if you're working on 8-10 minute clips at a time, you don't need any additional software from your editing suite. I suggest go for sony vegas if you can - it eats less resources and you can edit native h.264 with the laptop you suggest. no issues.
Disagree. Even with i7, Vegas struggles with the codec. At least mine does. But for $50 you can get Epic and make proxies.

Many report conflicts with Neoscene.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #23
Inner Circle

good morning,,

do not know if this thread is finished:

I run Vegas with an I7 and use neoscene, Lots>

Just tried Edius and it runs real time so easily its a joke!!! No neo scene required. I think it would be ideal for a lap top!!!!!

I will be putting it on my lap top to be ceratin!

Vegas is a big more complete program in my book, but I will use both!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition