Please Clarify & Help My Brain Regarding HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old April 4th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Please Clarify & Help My Brain Regarding HD

I have a Canon Powershot; it shoots sublime 720p HD. I use a program called Prism Video Converter that reformats it from a mov.file to mpg. I open it in Vegas, and everything is right with the world. A snap!

I also have a HMC150 that I have yet to use, and recently ordered a mega-computer to process ACHDV, which seems more demanding for editing purposes. I also have Cineform waiting in the wings.

Now, what should I expect with ACHDV that makes it more complex? Why is the HD I use with the Powershot so effortless to convert and edit?

Thanks (I should know the answers to all this but admit defeat)

Last edited by Barry Rivadue; April 4th, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rivadue View Post
Now, what should I expect with ACHDV that makes it more complex?
AVCHD uses a long GOP MPEG compression to achieve the results it does at the bitrates it records at. This requires the MPEG stream to be "unpacked" during playback and modification (editing, effects) as only every keyframe (or "I" frame) contains ALL the information required to make a full frame. This requires a lot of computation, especially given that AVCHD is a "next gen" codec - 5 years from now we will look back and laugh that Long GOP codecs crippled computers but for now, we need raw computing "horsepower" for real time performance.
Old April 4th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks; I'm glad I ordered that computer.
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #4
Inner Circle

1280x720=921,600 pixels per frame
1920x1080=2,073,600 pixels per frame

Right there you have over 2x the amount of data crunching. I've got a couple little P&S cameras that shoot pretty nice 720p video as well, but it's not as sharp as a camera shooting 1080, just aren't as many pixels dancing around!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition