my xr520v broken. wait for next model? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old April 21st, 2010, 02:00 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Hi Dave, you lost me little there? XR520 60mins? battery power?

you mean 8G of continual recording? sorry but you lost me somewhere :(

/edit, i found the info i was looking for,

64GB1 Flash memory :
The built-in 64GB embedded Flash memory can record and store up to 26 hours of high definition video footage (HD LP mode), or up to 48 hours of standard definition footage (SD LP mode).

so thats 1080i = HD?

I only record in the highest mode then convert down after. that way i always have one good copy.

russ

Last edited by Russell Bailey; April 21st, 2010 at 09:11 PM.
Russell Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:48 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Russ -

Beware the marketing words "up to"... especially when referring to batteries and storage devices!

BATTERIES - You should get about an hour from a "60" battery, and more from the aftermarket "70" - keep in mind variables such as that new bigger LCD which will drain power faster than using the VF, how much you zoom, etc... I'd hope and expect a pair of "70" batteries would do for most shooters, maybe even the 70 with the stock 60 for a backup...

STORAGE - In the 500/520 series cameras the max bitrate was 16Mbps, which would yield an amount of data that would fill an 8GB card in an hour (divide any larger storage device by 8 to get the total storage capability).

The 550s have up to 24Mbps (aprox 50% more data in the stream), so you'd have to reduce the amount of time you could expect to record to that same 8GB card - roughly you'd get 40 minutes at max bitrate setting.

If you equate this to the CX550's 64G onboard flash, you come out with something around 5.333 hours at the max bitrate setting (I seem to recall seeing this figure in the Sony specs). Obviously, lower bitrate settings, while still "HD" will take less storage space (and be of lesser quality as they have fewer 1's and 0's to go 'round) and that 64G will go a lot further time wise.

Hope that makes sense?
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi Dave, thanks for that. I am starting to understand it a bit better now. I do now recall the max being much less than the 24Mbps and others were saying how much better the cannon HF10 was i think because it has the 24Mbps.

The funny thing is this is the only time i examine all these specs and verify even if Sony website has the correct specs too as they have be known to get it wrong too.

Then after the purchase all this is forgotten until next i need to upgrade :)

I am still in 2 minds weather to get the HDD or flash drive version.

The only advantage i found with the HDD version was i could show friends/family what i have stored on the camera HDD by simply using the HDMI or video cables & plug straight into their TV for showing. SO i would basically keep filling up the HDD until i needed to make room.

Although i always download everything off the HDD on a daily bases just in case the HDD does fail.

But with these memory sticks that can suck 8G at a time off the cam and TV's that have USB *SD card capability the HDD is almost obsolete.

Is there such a things as Memory stick Pro Duo-HG adapter -->Larger SD Card?

My Pro-HG slots into the back of an USB adapter that i got with the 520.

so 64G onboard flash at 5.333 hours equate to approx 19.98hrs on the HDD version.

It might just come to best deal/price at the store/counter on the day i guess to which way i will go.

Last time i researched a Sony cam it was obsolete before i got to buy it! So i have to work faster these days lol. and it was a shock to see my 520 got superseded twice in 9 months!! i am still coming to terms with that! lol.

russ

Last edited by Russell Bailey; April 21st, 2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spell check
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:14 PM   #19
Regular Crew

In the spirit of this thread i should have added pics of my broken cam in the first post. the time to edit that post has now expired so i will post some pics here.

Sony XR520v Naked :)
Attached Thumbnails
my xr520v broken. wait for next model?-sony520v.jpg   my xr520v broken. wait for next model?-sony520v2.jpg  

my xr520v broken. wait for next model?-sony520v3.jpg   my xr520v broken. wait for next model?-sony520v4.jpg  

my xr520v broken. wait for next model?-sony520v5.jpg   my xr520v broken. wait for next model?-sony520v6.jpg  

my xr520v broken. wait for next model?-sony520v7.jpg   my xr520v broken. wait for next model?-sony520v8.jpg  

Old April 21st, 2010, 09:17 PM   #20
Regular Crew

more pics..................
Attached Thumbnails
my xr520v broken. wait for next model?-sony520v9.jpg   my xr520v broken. wait for next model?-sony520v11.jpg  

my xr520v broken. wait for next model?-sony520v12.jpg   my xr520v broken. wait for next model?-sony520v13.jpg  

my xr520v broken. wait for next model?-sony520v14.jpg  
Russell Bailey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition