3 New Cameras - What to Get? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 24th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #31
Inner Circle

My NX5U is the worst auto focus camera I own. I have a lot of Sony camera's. The auto focus is slow and inaccurate. So if Mark used the autofocus to set up the shot I can see how its out of focus. I have to use manual focus with the expanded focus button to get an accurate focus. One shot or full auto focus is totally unreliable. The camera seems to think that if its in the depth of field range its OK !!! I have sort of verified this by finding the sharp focus then pressing the one shot auto button--the camera confirms the position and stays there. If I move just slightly off focus its still happy!!!! If I do a one shot focus ( exactly what I would do with my FX1 or any of the other cameras )and then check with extended focus etc its always off by quite a bit.
When its in focus its beautifully sharp just like the XR500( which gets there very quick).
I will send mine in to get the firmware upgrade and ask to have the autofocus checked but for now I am busy over the next few weeks.
However I can easily see how the NX5U can look out of focus.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #32
Major Player

Back to the poster's main question....Some are pushing the EX camera and yes, it has been the key, under $10,000, 3 chip camera for the last 2 years or so. But if you are planning to get a camera in the next month or two, the new Canon XF300/305 recording at the higher 50mb/ 4-2-2 color codec would be a better move.......If you can wait.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #33
Trustee

Another consideration is how your NLE handles the video. The small Sony cams are avchd BUT use m2ts whereas the 5d/7d are avchd using quicktime wrapper. Also, the small Sony cams are 60i and using 24p & 60i in the same timeline might require additional steps.

I don't know whether the HMC150 is m2ts or qt.

I use Premiere CS5, and it is very simple to put my 29.97p xdcam footage on the same timeline as the xr500v 60i. I have even been told that using an interlace sequence, when mixing interlaced and progressive, is the best way because the interlaced video won't lose any resolution. Apparently, putting interlaced into a progressive sequence causes half of the fields to be discarded, thus causing a loss of resolution.

Furthermore, Premiere can handle each codec native; thus no transcoding.

One more consideration is whether you computer can handle all of the avchd layers.

I totally forgot to ask whether you have tripods and have you considered the cost of batteries and recording media ( and anything else you might need for each camera, such as shotgun mic)
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #34
Trustee

MTS files for the HMC150. Final Cut Pro doesn't handle them natively, but converts to ProRes on transfer. I would rather not edit in AVCHD, so this isn't necessarily a negative, and 2-3x realtime conversion speed ain't bad compared to tape. I'd rather not go back to Premiere either to be completely honest, and the AVCHD in CS5 leaves some to be desired in my opinion. As I don't do multi-cams frequently, 24p over 60i on the consumer handycams will be workable when the situation arises.

Yes I've figured in accessories for the Pannys. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm not sure if I already said this, but I view these next couple of years as a transition period. Codecs and NLEs are likely going to be changing quite dramatically soon (as they always do), meaning more robust and native options will be coming to the table.

Canon seems to have started this with the XF300 cams, and I would expect more to follow. I would love to get a XF series machine, or a EX, but budget simply does not allow for a cam that is twice the price I can spend right now, especially when my plan is to upgrade again in the next 2 years. Going into debt for 4:2:2 color space isn't on my to do list. People are happy with my XH-A1 right now, I'm just so sick of tape.
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #35
Trustee

Nate, have you considered a firewire recorder for your Canon and just keep the tape as a backup? And there is the nanoFlash if your canon has HDMI or HD-SDI. The nanoFlash is costly but will work with whatever higher priced camera you get in 2 years.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:44 AM   #36
Trustee

I was thinking the same thing. A nanoFlash would add tapeless workflow and better image quality.
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #37
Major Player

"I'm liking the small camera idea more and more. I actually found the Panny TM700 today; it seems very comparable to the Sony XR550, and shoots 24p to boot. Both are about $1000. "

$810 at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674275-REG/Panasonic_HDC_TM700K_HDC_TM700K_High_Definition_Camcorder.html
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #38
Inner Circle

And at that price, there's almost an extra half a camera in the price differential between the TM700 and the CX550V ($800 vs $1150). Competition is good!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #39
Trustee

Would anyone be willing to rent me their HMC150 for July 25 - Aug 1st? I would be most grateful and guarantee your baby would be safe and sound.

-Nate

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition