Should I use step-down rings to keep using my old WA adapter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 29th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Should I use step-down rings to keep using my old WA adapter?

My Canon HV20 has 43mm threads, and I have a nice wide angle adapter for it. I just purchased a Canon HF S20, with a 58mm barrel, and would love to avoid paying for a new adapter. I realize I may need to use a combo of 2-3 step-down rings to use it. But I have no idea what this means for picture quality. Can anyone enlighten me?
Hal Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Wouldn't you need to zoom in past the edges of the step-down conversion in that case, thereby eliminating any chance at squeezing a wider view out of your lens?
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out. I don't know whether filter size correlates to lens size, and I'm not having much luck via Google. Maybe this ought to be moved to a Canon subforum?
Hal Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Filter size correlates to lens thread size. That's not necessarily the same thing as your lens size. But, I'm pretty sure if you're needing to use a step down ring of any sort in order to put that wide angle adapter on your lens, you're probably defeating your purpose entirely, and then eating additional light and image quality in the process. I think you're much better off getting a properly sized adapter.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition