DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Nano or T2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/480612-nano-t2.html)

Ron Little June 18th, 2010 10:56 AM

Nano or T2?

What would be better a nano flash on a Sony V1u or a Cannon T2i? I am trying to figure out which way I want to go.

Tim Polster June 18th, 2010 11:24 AM

To improve your image quality or augment your camera selection?

Ken Hull June 18th, 2010 11:37 AM

I've had a V1U for a few years, and have been thinking of getting a nanoFlash for it. Since I frequently do green-screen, I would like the ability to record color in 4:2:2. But then I started thinking about what else would be required. To view a recorded scene on location, I'd need a portable LCD monitor.... no way to use the camera's monitor for playback. And then there's the bracket to hold nanoFlash, LCD monitor, and batteries. A rather awkward and pricey collection of stuff. Also, the V1U sensors are not full raster.

I thought briefly about getting a Canon T2i, but I have no interest in extremely shallow depth-of-field, and prefer the design of a camera made specifically for video.

Maybe it would be better to start from scratch with a new camcorder that can record 4:2:2 to solid state memory card. The Panasonic HPX300 looks good, the HPX370 looks even better (but more expensive). Both of those solutions are a bit more bulky and pricey than I would prefer. Now Canon has announce the XF300, which records 4:2:2 to memory card, is about the same size as my V1U, and costs less than either of the Panasonics. So now the XF300 is the camera I'm saving for. But who knows, maybe by the time I'm ready to buy, the Red Scarlet will finally be availble. Meanwhile, I'm just saving my pennies and daydreaming.

Ken

Robert Turchick June 18th, 2010 12:47 PM

sorry but that question seems like "do you want a steak or a new TV?"

Just need you to qualify what you are trying to achieve as they are totally different devices.

Ron Little June 18th, 2010 02:02 PM

Yes, totally different devices that do the same thing. I shoot video and want to up the quality of the picture. Where would I get the best bang for the buck.

Ken I agree that the new Cannon looks great but it is a little out of my range at this time.

Robert Turchick June 18th, 2010 02:29 PM

ahhh starting to see...

Well, the ONLY reasons to get into the DSLR's are for DOF and photography. Small size is a plus but there's better solutions if that's what you need.
If you want it to behave like a video camera, you will be very disappointed.

Assuming the output of the V1U will get you 4:2:2 uncompressed video, you will get higher quality using that with the nanoflash than with the DSLRs. And retain all the niceties of a camcorder you are already familiar with.
I was considering picking up a XL-H1s and nanoflash until the XF series was introduced. Basically, I never want to use tape again.

To sum up, if you want a B-Roll monster for DOF and specialty shots, can't beat the T2i. If you want a videocamera, get the nanoflash to use with your V1U.

Ron Little June 18th, 2010 04:31 PM

Hey, thanks that sounds like good advice.

Tim Polster June 20th, 2010 10:10 AM

Have you purchased or do you own anything yet? For the price of the V1U and the Nano, you could get an EX1. Unless you need the 20x zoom, the EX-1 will give you a better image than the V1U + Nano and cost around the same.

Have you looked at the Panasonic HMC-150? The main issue with the V1U is the HDV codec. The AVCHD codec in the HMC-150 is quite good. This camera sells for ~$3000.

You could then get the GH1 for shallow DOF/ B cam as the "Tester 13 hack" has turned this into quite an imaging device. The colors will match as they will all be from Panasonic.

Total would be around $4,500 - $5,000 for both.

Food for thought.

Ron Little June 21st, 2010 08:42 AM

I already have two V1-Us. You mention the HDV codec in the V1 but the whole idea of the Nano is to bypass the HDV codec and record to mpeg2 100.

Do you think that the AVCHD codec is better than the codec used by the Nano?

Do you think the 4-2-0 codec of the EX-1 is better than what can be achieved with the V1 + Nano?

Do you think the GH1 looks better than the T2?

Tim Polster June 21st, 2010 02:10 PM

Ron,

I was thinking you might not own anything yet. The Nano codec, bitrates and color space is better than HDV for sure. I was making the point that the camera makes the image and the Nano just gives you a better representation of that image. It would be wise to start with the best camera for the budget.

If you already own the cameras, then I would test to see if you think the image quality improvement is worth the investment. It is not like night and day once you hook up a Nano and everything is massively different. It is a judegment call.

The GH1 with its new hack seems like a better tool for video than the T2. Longer record times and a more video friendly setup. I have not used a GH1 but the screen shots looks pretty impressive.