Buying Cameras From The US - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old January 9th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
If you're a professional getting paid for your work, buy it from Australia. If you're an amateur who's not getting paid enough to cover costs, then buy a cheaper camera from, you guessed it - Australia.
And where would you suggest here in oz we can buy electronics that are the same price as in the US eh? Have you ever been over here?? We are the most overtaxed nation on earth, plus as the Aussie $ is so strong it is common sense to take advantage of that. Sadly retailers here are so damn greedy!
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 01:23 AM   #17
Major Player

I've bought plenty of equipment in the US - no cameras, though - and have never had an issue with voltage or warranty. Only plugs need to be changed.
Price deltas are simply HUGE, up to 50%, even including sales tax.
I often buy the stuff on trips to the US so I avoid the shipping costs, but some vendors ship for free.
Only very high end equipment tends to cost the same here & there, but exchange rates can help.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #18
Trustee

Haha I was actually talking about this in another thread before noticing this old dinosuar thread had been dug up.

It's fairly ridiculous to think that with the dollar where it is at the moment, we are still paying so much more for so many things. The example I cited in the other thread is the Panasonic micro 4/3rds lenses - the 14-42mm is $199 in the USA but retails for about $600-700 here in Aus.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #19

Yeah exactly John. This fits in with the current euphoria about retailers wanting the Fed government to lower the duty threshold for foreign purchases and how Gerry Harvey whinged about it.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #20
Trustee

Not all the time , but sometimes I buy camcorders not only from US, but also from Japan,
and never had any issues, but I agree if, God forbid, something happens - it'll cause you some additional hassle.
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #21
Major Player

A good compromise might be buying from a reputable drop shipper in Australia - you might have some comeback and they seem to have the contacts. I just bought a Sigma 30mm f1.4, cheaper than the US, cheaper than EBay, much, much cheaper than Australian retail and it arrived overnight from HK. I've bought equipment from the US and it never took less than two weeks to arrive.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition