Here's my camera budget & needs - what would you buy? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old October 12th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #16
Space Hipster

Resurrecting an old thread..

Jim, I've heard you say both here and on a Youtube video that the Canon XF line has 10-bit processing. I understand it has 8-bit.

Also, the BBC has approved the XF30x for full acquisition, true. Discovery accepts the EX cams for full Silver level acquisition. I don't know what they've said about the XFs.

And I would not rely on a JVC product. I had an HD200 that had all kinds of problems, and the image looked really bad in low light.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #17
Major Player

Glen-

I was told at NAB about the 10 bit thing......turns out it was not true....but here in town, the few post guys (from post houses) that have worked with the camera have said they like the new codec and work flow and 10 bit would be nice, the 8 bit thing has not been a problem.

I was also told that, along with the BBC, Discovery approved the 300/305 for 100% content about a month or so ago.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

"what do I know, I'm just an Actor"
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #18
New Boot

Still haven't bought anything but...

Here's a small update...

Shot with a rental EX1R this past weekend, and really liked the camera, work flow and the picture profile control. Was shooting in a well-lit arena with huge contrast between the white ice and darker crowd, but was able to dial in a great knee/matrix setting thanks to other threads from contributors to this forum.

Interchangeable lenses may not end up being a must-have, in which case the EX1 may fit the bill nicely, and I found it much easier to handle hand-held than the larger/heavier EX3.

Still haven't tested the XF300/305, which still appeals because it shoots on (cheaper than SxS) CF cards...

Last edited by B.J. Hjelholt; November 8th, 2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typos
B.J. Hjelholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #19
New Boot

Re: Here's my camera budget & needs - what would you buy?

Went with EX1R's...

Now onto accessories... looking at camera mounted lights... will start a new thread.
B.J. Hjelholt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition