Disk drive setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old September 1st, 2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Disk drive setup

Just wandering if you setup your HDD in a RAID-1 configuration for incresed datarate to edit HD content. Or how do you connect an external disk, USB, Firewire or SATA. I have used an usb connection to edit sd and everything is smooth on the timeline.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: Disk drive setup

I connect to external hard drives via FireWire400 or 800, depending on which edit computer I'm using (both Macs running FCP6 and FCP7 respectively) and I pull HDV and ProRes material off just fine. Uncompressed HD would be another story entirely...
Old September 4th, 2011, 06:00 AM   #3
Major Player

I use RAID 0 with eSATA for the fastest read/write speeds. Firewire doesn't provide the speed I need for my higher end broadcast projects but is fine for my simpler projects.
Old September 5th, 2011, 02:45 AM   #4
Trustee

My mac pro has three 1tb sata drives in a raid 0 array and I work on pro res HQ from P2 AVC Intra 100 as my high end edit suite.

I also have a g-tech 1tb raid 0 firewire 800 drive and that is OK for pro res LT with the macbook pro but I have just done a whole indie drama which was shot AVC Intra 50 and loaded as pro res LT on a single lacie rugged firewire 800 5400 drive and it all went rather well on FCP 7, I had to render any effects or transitions but it played back OK and I was quite surprised.
Old September 7th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Major Player

I have a PC running Win7 & Premiere CS5.5. Ipull from my SDHC cards (550D & Sony AX-2000) to a 2x1TB Raid 0 drive for editing (SATA interface). This is rather easy, fast and smooth. For security, I backup projects to a network drive, a DroboFS with 3.5TB of storage.

For mobile editing, I'm using an external 500GB G-Raid Mini with eSATA connection to a PC running CS5.5. I haven't yet encountered any hiccups in the process, but then, most projects edited on this setup are necessarily smaller/shorter.

FYI, monitoring on either system is through a Matrox MXO2 Mini. Nice and simple.
Bob Krieger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition