Disk drive setup at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old September 1st, 2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew
Disk drive setup

Just wandering if you setup your HDD in a RAID-1 configuration for incresed datarate to edit HD content. Or how do you connect an external disk, USB, Firewire or SATA. I have used an usb connection to edit sd and everything is smooth on the timeline.
Asvaldur Kristjansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: Disk drive setup

I connect to external hard drives via FireWire400 or 800, depending on which edit computer I'm using (both Macs running FCP6 and FCP7 respectively) and I pull HDV and ProRes material off just fine. Uncompressed HD would be another story entirely...
Shaun C. Roemich Road Dog Media - Vancouver, BC - Videographer - Webcaster
www.roaddogmedia.ca Blog: http://roaddogmedia.wordpress.com/
Shaun Roemich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 06:00 AM   #3
Major Player

I use RAID 0 with eSATA for the fastest read/write speeds. Firewire doesn't provide the speed I need for my higher end broadcast projects but is fine for my simpler projects.
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not." Neil deGrasse Tyson http://www.nautilusproductions.com
Rick L. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 02:45 AM   #4

My mac pro has three 1tb sata drives in a raid 0 array and I work on pro res HQ from P2 AVC Intra 100 as my high end edit suite.

I also have a g-tech 1tb raid 0 firewire 800 drive and that is OK for pro res LT with the macbook pro but I have just done a whole indie drama which was shot AVC Intra 50 and loaded as pro res LT on a single lacie rugged firewire 800 5400 drive and it all went rather well on FCP 7, I had to render any effects or transitions but it played back OK and I was quite surprised.
Over 15 minutes in Broadcast Film and TV production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352/
Gary Nattrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Major Player

I have a PC running Win7 & Premiere CS5.5. Ipull from my SDHC cards (550D & Sony AX-2000) to a 2x1TB Raid 0 drive for editing (SATA interface). This is rather easy, fast and smooth. For security, I backup projects to a network drive, a DroboFS with 3.5TB of storage.

For mobile editing, I'm using an external 500GB G-Raid Mini with eSATA connection to a PC running CS5.5. I haven't yet encountered any hiccups in the process, but then, most projects edited on this setup are necessarily smaller/shorter.

FYI, monitoring on either system is through a Matrox MXO2 Mini. Nice and simple.
Bob Krieger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition