Capturing VHS Tapes Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old September 11th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Tourist

Capturing VHS Tapes Help

Ok, here is my setup.
Dug out my old DVDO HD+ unit, VHS player and plugged that into my BlackMagic Intensity Pro card.
(VHS into DVDO then hdmi into the blackmagic)
Now I've captured some tapes at 720p .avi files and the files are huge. Something like 6gb per min. I've tried the 720p mjpeg but it seems choppy. I've tried it at 480p and its obviously a lot smaller file size but the aspect ratio seems slightly off compared to the 720p. I've dl the trial of Cineform and done some conversion and it does make the file smaller but what would be the best way of doing this (what settings in cineform should I use High, filmscan one or two)? Is this overkill.Also since these files are huge, I've had to split the files when capturing to my raptor drive.
Please any advise would be great. I don't mind buying some software to convert etc.
Also, I do not plan on putting these on playable Blu rays. I Play everything via a media streamer or HTPC.
One final thing, Cineform does not show the blackmagic as a capture device. IS this normal or something wrong? I've reinstall both cineform and the blackmagic.
Thanks
Don
Riker Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Capturing VHS Tapes Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker Rock View Post
Ok, here is my setup.
Dug out my old DVDO HD+ unit, VHS player and plugged that into my BlackMagic Intensity Pro card.
(VHS into DVDO then hdmi into the blackmagic)
Now I've captured some tapes at 720p .avi files and the files are huge. Something like 6gb per min. I've tried the 720p mjpeg but it seems choppy. I've tried it at 480p and its obviously a lot smaller file size but the aspect ratio seems slightly off compared to the 720p. I've dl the trial of Cineform and done some conversion and it does make the file smaller but what would be the best way of doing this (what settings in cineform should I use High, filmscan one or two)? Is this overkill.Also since these files are huge, I've had to split the files when capturing to my raptor drive.
Please any advise would be great. I don't mind buying some software to convert etc.
Also, I do not plan on putting these on playable Blu rays. I Play everything via a media streamer or HTPC.
One final thing, Cineform does not show the blackmagic as a capture device. IS this normal or something wrong? I've reinstall both cineform and the blackmagic.
Thanks
Don
Why are you capturing VHS at 720P? VHS is a lossy format at 480i. You will not somehow magically gain resolution by capturing in HD.
Old September 12th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Why not connect VHS deck direct to Intensity Pro and capture the proper native 480i format? You may also be adding additional loss/conversions by going through the other deck and converting to HDMI first.

As for aspects not matching - HD is always 16:9 widescreen, while your old VHS tapes will be 4:3

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Tourist

Only reason for the dvdo unit is because it has a full frame time base corrector built in and stablizes the video tapes. I tried without it as u suggested and some videos have issues flickering etc.
Thanks
Any other suggestions??
Riker Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have a Grass Valley ADVC55 Analog to FireWire converter that I use to capture VHS tapes and to livestream SD video from cameras that lack a FireWire connection. Works great.
Michael Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 04:54 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I captured a VHS tape already copied from another via Premiere Pro CS5 via firewire from a JVC HR-DVS1 set to dub from VHS > DV and it did okay. It needed a bit of later work for video noise and the usual VHS old-age dropouts we routinely lived with back in the day.

DARANGULAFILM's Channel - YouTube

I did pull it into a cineform preset project for the correction tools.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition