Does it make sense to shoot interlaced anymore?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old November 24th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Does it make sense to shoot interlaced anymore??

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mercer View Post
A question.

I shot half a documentary at 1080p25 (in a 50i wrapper).

Now i've updated my camera. It shoots 1080i50, but not 1080p25 (the opposite of my old camera). I presume mixing the two framerates will look pretty bad and I should continue using the old camera for the remainder of the doc. New camera has better audio, better low light, and a few other upgrades.

I'm hoping to sell for PAL broadcast (so 50i).

Any advice?
Should be absolutely fine, the BBC do this all the time, if you watch BBC HD and have equipment that shows you the encoding method in real time, you can see dramas etc switching between between interlaced and progressive all the time.

You should treat all your footage as 50i, that's the reason we have 25fps in a 50i wrapper, so you can easily mix progressive and interlaced.

You should render out as 50i.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #17
Major Player

Re: Does it make sense to shoot interlaced anymore??

Thanks Phil!

I didn't realize the beeb did that, but good to hear that footage can be mixed and still look good. If only I had a PAL interlaced monitor down here I could do a little test mixing 25p in 50i stream with true 50i - all rendered out at 50i - to see what it looks like ...
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition