DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Which Camera? HMC 150/GY HM150/T3i (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/504368-camera-hmc-150-gy-hm150-t3i.html)

Amani Channel January 13th, 2012 08:25 PM

Which Camera? HMC 150/GY HM150/T3i

I'm in the market for an HD camera. I'll be using it primarily to produce video blogs and in studio video tutorials, but may use it to shoot for a client or two as well. I'm hoping to spend under 4K. I've been looking at a DSLR like the Canon T3i and have a colleague who loves his, but I've also heard the DSLRs are a big headache and I am thinking that I should just go with a traditional video camera. That being said, the JVC HM150 and the Panasonic HMC 150 look like possible options. What are your thoughts?

Are there any other cameras that I should be considering?

Thanks!

Amani Channel
Web Video Chefs | Serving Fresh Weekly Video Tutorials

Chris Harding January 13th, 2012 10:36 PM

Re: Which Camera? HMC 150/GY HM150/T3i

Hi Amani

I think the first thing you need to decide is whether you will go DSLR or video. Then you can start looking at camera models. The DSLR is probably more adaptable for shooting short clips but requires a lot more attention. I shoot events so I need a camera that looks after itself so I have two Panasonics ..the HMC150 is an old model and if you go that route try looking at the AC-130 rather. If you are leaning toward Panasonic look at using a GH2 if you decide on the DSLR route but remember most DSLR lenses that come with the camera are too slow for practical indoor work so keep some cash aside for some decent glass!!

Chris

Amani Channel January 14th, 2012 05:55 AM

Thanks. I just found the AC130. Looks like a like a possible option.

Chris Conlee February 13th, 2012 08:29 PM

The thing I like about both the HMC150 and the HM150 is that they're both 3CCD cameras, and not CMOS cameras. If you do event photography and there's any flash photography, etc., if you're like me, you'll soon despise the rolling shutter of the CMOS cameras. I'd take CCD over CMOS any day of the week.

Chris

Chris Harding February 14th, 2012 06:03 AM

Hi Chris

I shoot around 30 weddings a season and have been using the HMC80 which is 3MOS and now the AC130. I have had no rolling shutter or jello or vertical breakup ever on my cameras!! Flash might overexpose the frame (like CCD) but never any half frames like you see in other cameras. I was very much against CMOS overall but it seems that Panasonic cameras don't suffer from it!! The electronics must be different but you cannot tell the difference except it's a much sharper image.

Chris

Chris Conlee February 14th, 2012 02:21 PM

That's interesting, Chris. I'd be interested in seeing a sample of a camera flash recorded on your cameras. Even the Alexa has issues with this. I cut Alexa footage all day long and I see muzzle flashes cut in half and crime scene photo flashes doing all kinds of weird stuff. If the Pany's are truly not doing this, then I'm all in.

Any chance of getting even a 2 second shot (or a couple) showing how your cameras record camera flashes? I'd also love to see 1 second of handheld running footage..

Chris