Small HD camera for low budget feature? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 13th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #16
Space Hipster

Re: Small HD camera for low budget feature?

Here's an interesting new camera, a Digital 16 Bolex. It shoots in 2K RAW, with 12-bit, 4:4:4 color. All for around $3,000. It sounds like the perfect independent film camera:

Introducing the New Camera | DigitalBolex.com

Forum on the camera:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...ml#post1720692
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #17
Trustee

The digital bolex looks promising. Love the design and the specs. If it fulfills its promise it will be a winner. It sure is rocking at Kickstarter.
Old March 14th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #18
Trustee

Phillip Bloom had some good things to say about the Panasonic AG AF100. Seems to have all the features we look for in a camcorder, takes Micro Four Thirds system lenses so anything that can be adapted to fit the Panasonic GH2 will fit and work on the AF100.

Price seems very reasonable and Bloom said the low light capability was very good.

I've been "trying out" MFT lenses on a "dinky" little Olympus Pen and love the low light capabilities with both the Lumix 14mm f2.5 and the 20mm f1.7. Both will fit the AF100 (look a little funny being so tiny). The camcorder itself may be a bit larger than what you had in mind but you might read some user reviews on it.

I think it would also integrate well with either the Panasonic GH2 or the about to be released Olympus OMD E-M5 (early testers are talking CLEAN ISO 6400 with it).
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks Glen & Bruce - very intriguing models!
Barry McGovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:20 AM   #20
Space Hipster

I'm now shooting a short film on my FS100. It takes great video, but it records in AVCHD. It's fine for our use, but you can always attach an Atomos Ninja to get true 4:2:2 color at high bit rates, over 100mbps, if you like.

The FS100's Super-35 sensor is king in low light, and with an adapter, I can use any Alpha mount lens. There are also adapters for Nikon and Canon lenses, even a PL mount. Although my favorite lens is the E-mount Zeiss 24mm f1.8 prime I rented. Sweet! We shot scenes in the middle of some woods in the dead of night, with the only lighting being two 650s and a 150 ( I tried to mimic moon light). The camera with the Zeiss performed beautifully.

Should I shoot another film with this camera, I will probably see about acquiring a Ninja. My colorist recommended one for our present film, but alas, the budget said otherwise.

Regarding the new JVC HMQ10, it has a CMOS about 1/2" in size. With a relatively slow f2.8 lens, it probably won't be the best in low light. Still, 4K sure sounds good.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #21
Major Player

I just got a Panasonic AG AF100 and I'm ready for nearly anything. Check it out. The camera can be added to, and expanded in all sorts of ways. I have a thread elsewhere in this forum.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition