music video. Should I use a DSLR or XH-A1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 13th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Major Player

music video. Should I use a DSLR or XH-A1s

I will be shooting a music video in club setting, should I use my Sony a35 DSLR, or Canon XHA1s? or Both?

I have been using my DSLR, but have access to a Canon XHA1s

any thoughts?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: music video. Should I use a DSLR or XH-A1s

If you're recording a long set, go with the camcorder on a tripod. For audio, try to set up a good mi for ambient and a separate feed from the house sound board
Alex DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I haven't got a Sony DSLR but I do have a canon DSLR and I love the footage from it. I also have the XH A1 and I actually prefer the footage from the DSLR. I can't speak for your Sony but the canon 550d is excellent in low light conditions. If your going to be in a club I would guess the DSLR would be better. This is a test I found with your camera in low light

Most DSLR you can only film a maximum of 12 min at a time IF you have a really good quality memory card.

Sandisk EXTREME HD VIDEO SDHC UHS-I MEMORY CARD - 32 GB - CLASS 10 review cheap prices EXTREME HD VIDEO SDHC UHS-I MEMORY CARD - 32 GB - CLASS 10 Sandisk best buy discount online uk shop

This might be OK with a music video because you'll probably shot the entire song straight (3-4min) stop and start and repeat.

If your planning on using both cameras I find a vast difference between the footage from the DSLR and XH A1. You would probably have to add effects to the XH A1 footage to mask the difference. But if it’s a music video you'll probably be messing about with effect in post so you could get away with using the two cameras.
Old April 5th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Can you give us more information about the shoot? Is it live? Are you lighting it? Can you do multiple takes?
Is it a multicam shoot? Are you going for a specific look?

There are too many variables to give you a definitive answer.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

As Oren said, we need to know more info. I would suggest you consider what it would take to get through a song without a loss of focus. Easier to do with an XH A1 in available light than a DSLR, but multi-cam work can cover up individual cam problems.

This is an example of a multi cam event, with an XH-A1 as the main camera, tripod mounted on a balcony above the band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-8eAyLpy5Y

The A1 is very reliable with a useful auto-focus in a club environment.

In a studio with lights and a script, I would go DSLR.
Terry Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
... in club setting, should I use my Sony a35 DSLR, or Canon XHA1s? or Both?
If you have both, why not use both? Music videos usually thrive on different looks without rationale anyway. The DSLR will help you with low light, and the XHA1 with fast setups.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition