Under $5K Camera Suggestions? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 31st, 2012, 05:16 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Under $5K Camera Suggestions?

I don't think anyone can really say yet but it's unlikely that IQ would be the deciding factor. More the ergonomics and features wrt what's important to you. But keep an eye on Alister Chapman's blog for us upcoming review: Visual Impact FS700, PMW-100 and NX30 Hands-On day. | XDCAM-USER.COM
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:20 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Re: Under $5K Camera Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Horwitz View Post
I think what I'll do is give our media manager these 4 suggestions and have him read this thread:

1. XF100
2. XF105
3. XR-NX5U
4. AG-AC130

If the EX1 is $5900 I'll suggest it, but I'm not sure we'd want to spend that much.
It would be money well spent....... ! It's worth considering that the XDCAM EX codec needs less processing effort to deal with than AVC-HD - that can translate to needing a less powerful editing system for the same performance, and possibly a money saving in itself. The alternative is transcoding - but that can add a time penalty, is it worth it over the lifetime of the camera?

The PMW100 is a slightly strange product, in that it looks like the front end is likely to not be as good as the EX1, but to have a fully broadcast compatible codec. I think it's aimed fair and square at broadcasters who are looking for a B camera to their PMW500s and PDW700s, and insist of the 50Mbs codec. I doubt I'm alone in wishing that Sony would just put that codec into a camera that otherwise is an EX1, but hey ho......

That said, for your purposes, I suspect the EX1 is better for your purposes than the PMW100. The EX codec is more than enough for your purposes (and better than all the AVC-HD options) but it's the 1/2" chips that are likely to make the difference.
David Heath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition