Need "LOTS" of advice on what to buy - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 5th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Need "LOTS" of advice on what to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Clarke View Post
I ended up getting a SONY NX5...should be here on Tuesday.
Good choice!

Quote:
Im still looking at radcam and GoPro but Im slowly putting it all together
Think about what you want to shoot, what angles, etc, then make your choice. I would say if you're only going to shoot in car, you'd be better off with the radcam, but I don't think it'll matter too much as you won't be using either for their audio prowess that's for sure!

Quote:
I want to separate the audio recording from a lapel mic. This is the bit I need to read up on.

Can you use these mic's in either GoPro or RadCam and can I use them with the NX5 with an extension (I assume there only 3 or so feet long)
The RadCam offers a 3.5mm audio in jack, and mine came with some basic lapel mics. That said, I wouldn't recommend this.

Ideal solution in my book would be a Sennheiser wireless mic kit, with the receiver connected to the XLR input on the NX5. That way you can move around a little more.

I would suggest that if you're going to be recording most of your audio in the car, and the video recorded on GoPros/RadCams, that you wouldn't want to use the NX5 for recording. You don't really want it sitting on the passenger seat moving around while you drive along. Probably better with a Zoom H4n or something similar, and a lapel straight into it.

Not knowing what you're going to be recording when out of the car, I don't know whether you'd get away with the Zoom and a wired lapel, or whether you'd need the wireless kit too.
Ryan Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition