Equipment List Needed For Multi-camera setup - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 21st, 2012, 12:33 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: Equipment List Needed For Multi-camera setup

Les, don't trip as you get down off the soapbox...

You'll notice I mentioned it not being ideal in my first post, which you reference, and as well I point out that having pro shooters is the difference. Perhaps the part I failed to communicate is that I recognize that most facilities of this type are doing so with volunteers. But, if you don't have the talent that TV does, perhaps you shouldn't be aiming for TV broadcast either, again unless you are negotiating with a specialty channel or community channel that requires programming that may not meet the standard quality requirements.

The OP is in a difficult situation, no doubt. Lousy sight lines, a budget that doesn't allow him to do it right and aspirations and/or expectations of producing a high end product. Not saying it can't be done but my analogy is that this is akin to winning a marathon with both legs tied to a boulder. Be reasonable in your expectations.

Volunteer operators are more than adequate for providing an enriched experience for your parishioners... Expecting to sell a product to a discerning world requires somewhat more.

I'm a shooter first and a TD second, having worked for a broadcaster and three pro sports teams. I have no idea how many shows I've called or camera operated at. All I know is that I take my craft very seriously and I will put my skills up against most.

Thus endeth the sermon.
Old June 21st, 2012, 01:36 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hey Shaun, yeah, I didn't mean to direct my rant at you. I think we're in violent agreement. Others who may come upon this have some ammo now.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:51 PM   #18
New Boot

I guess my expectations were a bit high. We would love to start bigger but will have to start small. Sounds like the biggest problem we have is the control room (other than the cash of course). I'll have to work on that this week.
Alex J. Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 09:03 PM   #19
New Boot

Ok, here is what I'm thinking. The sound booth in the balcony is 8'x13'. The initial plan was to place an 8' table at the railing end where the sound operators could look at the floor and stage. Behind them we where going to place cabinets for storage. What if instead of cabinets we place the control room facing the back wall. The operator would have their back to the sanctuary but they could turn around and have a view of what is happening. Something like the picture below. Would that work?

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/...at111856PM.png
Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:13 AM   #20
Inner Circle

You'll want your video control room to have sound isolation so all the com chatter and direction is isolated.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:57 PM   #21
New Boot

I spoke with the architect this morning. By rerouting a hall way that originally divided the sanctuary from the control room we were able to place the control room up against a sanctuary wall on the second floor. This will give us a small control room 8.5'x8'. Not huge but it will have a window so now the video team can see what is happening on the floor. They can even see the sound booth. I think this is the best we can do this late in the game. Thanks for the advise.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:26 PM   #22
Inner Circle

That's great. I must say I'm a little jealous. :-)

Next thing to pay attention to is the director's desktop in front of the window. Depending on how high you are, when seated, the desk could block his/her view of the stage. Especially if they are short.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:16 PM   #23
New Boot

I'll have to keep that in mind when we look at furnishing the room.

The control room is situated towards the front of the auditorium next to the stage only up one level. In that it's towards the front, would you use some type of tinted glass so as not to distract from what happens in the stage? Of course, the audience would have to look up and to their right in order to see the control room so it may not be an issue.
Alex J. Rodriguez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition